XR600 no spark/start

2 replies to this topic
  • hangon

Posted September 19, 2004 - 06:06 PM

Hey guys, first time here and I need some help. I just picked up a 86 XR600, 630cc kit, cams, ported, Muzzy pipe, rear disc, aluminum bars, a nice bike. The bike started and ran great (scarey fast!) when I picked it up. Now I can't get it to start. I can't detect any spark at the plug. I tried a new plug because the old one was wet= no spark. I checked the plug connector and found an open circuit. The connector inside was unscrewed and tightening it fixed that problem= still no spark. I checked the coil resistance and got approx 400 ohms between the coil wire and both terminals. Don't have specs so I don't know if thats good or not. Does anyone have a electrical troubleshooting tree for a no start condition? How about specs for ignition components? I don't have a manual yet but will get one soon, just looking for some advance help if possible.
The info I've read here says the stator has the lighting and ignition windings together. What are the two wires coming out of the clutch side cover that go to the cdi box? Any and all help appreciated. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roosterk0031

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:39 PM

The two wires coming out of the front right of the engine are from the pulse generator, it tells the cdi when the crank is at a certain position, there's a trigger (magnet) on the crank, without that signal no spark ($55). The stator tends to be the weak link, in my experience any way. My 87 would run great sometime, others couldn't get it to start, flood it and it was done. Stator, Ricky stator one source ($135), seemed to fix my problem, I replaced the coil first with no change. I replaced pulse generator and stator at same time. I had to file my new pulse generator down because it only had maybe 0.001" clearance, I opened up to 0.008-0.010. Starts reliably now, still not easily but will start, even after a fall.

David, 87 xr600

• XR6's_rule

Posted September 23, 2004 - 01:48 AM

Hangon- Check your stator with a multimeter first, these were a bit of a weakness in the early 85-90 XR600's. It should read around 200-300 ohms between the black/red wire going to the stator cover and earth, if not it's toast and you'll have to rewind it! Good luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.