help!!!

2 replies to this topic
  • pjensen

Posted January 20, 2002 - 09:03 PM

I have an '90 xr 600. It ran and started great when I first bought it about a year and a half ago. One day it just died when it was at idle. No sputter at all, like there was no spark. Soon this happened a couple times per ride. Then it started to have fits of REALLY hard starting. It was completely random, fall or no fall, hot or cold, anything.
I also have a '96 xr 600 which runs perfectly, and I tried swapping a few parts in an attempt to locate the problem. It (the'90) has a strong spark, the spark timing's good, valve clearance is good, and I've tried switching the carb and plug with the ones from the '96.
A less minor problem, the '96 seems to have much stronger snap off the bottom. It has a 155 main, 65 pilot, stock air filter and a big gun silencer. The '90 has a K&N filter, a supertrapp, a 160 main and a 65 pilot. could it be just the pipe that makes a difference?
Any good ideas? It's driving me nuts, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bhoth

Posted January 21, 2002 - 04:31 AM

You may have an intermittant problem with the stator coil. I had an 85 XR600R that was doing the same sort of thing you describe. Finally I decided to just replace the coil and the problem was solved.

Using a meter to test the coil, it always said the coil was good so It took me a long time to just replace the coil and be done with it.

• Moredesert

Posted January 26, 2002 - 04:00 PM

One more thing you might look at is the kill switch, you could have a short. It does sound like electrical problems. On my 600 the spark pulg cap got very loose and caused a miss at times. All my starting problems were jetting but if it ran good before it most likely is electrical.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.