Mystery spark?

3 replies to this topic
  • ROTROD

Posted September 19, 2004 - 04:22 PM

Hey gang.Got a problem.My 650l will run for a couple minutes and then die,from a loss of spark.If I toggle the run/off switch and hit the starter it will fire up and run again.It will do this several times,and then it won't run for a while.I have gone through all the plugs and connections,and tried to make sure there are no bare wires or grounds.I am wondering about the coil or the CDI.The bike shops here have no idea and figure I should replace both.Sounds fine except if that don't fix it,no returns.Anyone have any ideas on this?I don't know what to do. :cry: :cry:

• Butta

Posted September 19, 2004 - 04:24 PM

If cycling the on/off switch really works, and is not just your routine after it dies, then wrap the handlebar under the switch with electrical tape....it may be grounding out. Just a thought....I always go for the easy fixes first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted September 21, 2004 - 09:04 AM

Could be the resistor in the plug cap is going bad- a cheap fix to try.

-Dave

• XR6's_rule

Posted September 23, 2004 - 01:41 AM

90% of spark problems stem from a bad stator, test it first using a multimeter, failing that it would be your coil.
Good luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.