EXC 400 01 vs WR400 99

1 reply to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted September 19, 2004 - 11:04 AM

I tried the KTM today and it gave me even more determination to stay blue
(KTM has 2000 miles on the clock, mine are unknown, presumably 9000)

KTM less powerfull of the two, my mods are none, except for open muffler
bike has no mid hit and also the highs seem less powerful compared to WR all round usable rpm range

KTM seems lighter and maybe better balanced as you can pull a wheelie with only touching the throttle and transfering the weight backward while the WR needs substantial throttle to do that, but you know, rpm's on the jap are not underfed

gearbox was a bit more rough than mine

when riding it, engine made noise as some farm device, as yamaha makes godly noise (boy am I impartial :cry:)

the only thing really better was the suspension with no sharp hitting front end, bike was just flowing over any obstacle you bumped it into, super for enduro, I should grab its WP's and put them on my WR

it might be a bit old bike comparison :cry: (KTM 400 still being made)
any other KTM VS yamaha experience?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tjettim

Posted September 22, 2004 - 12:05 AM

My friend traded his WR426 for a 450exc.
He did it originlly for the e-start.He
is much faster on the KTM.I can no longer
smoke him on the long straights,and he is
quicker in the woods too.He says he will never
go back.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.