Graphics prep

7 replies to this topic
  • Ronnie Mac

Posted September 19, 2004 - 09:59 AM

Any tips on applying my soon to come thumper graphics. Can you spray anything down on the tank that gives you the chance to move it around before it sets up? Or should I just have somebody else do it? :cry:

• 5valve

Posted September 19, 2004 - 10:35 AM

hi
clean clean clean the plastics with warm water and detergent to remove any grease
spray the plastics with water or soap water, then set on the graphic to fit its last resort
grab a heat gun or a hair dryer and slowly press on the graphic at one side (prefferably inner) with some flat plastic thingy in continuous one way sliding, while drying the same location
be sure to work slowly and remove any air and water pockets

that way i apply all the stickers to the bike, and even the thin ones are no way to come off with the high pressure cleaner or when sliding thru rocks :cry:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 19, 2004 - 01:01 PM

Yes, you need to clean off all the old glue/dirt/debris first. After its all cleaned up with soap and water, take some brake cleaner, spray it on a clean rag and "wipe" the area in which your new graphics will go. This will remove any oil or residue to get good adhesion. Now when you get ready to apply the new graphics, lay it in place with your hands, get it centered. Now use some masking tape and tape it in place. Now divide it down the middle, remove the masking tape on the side you will start on. Have a spray bottle with warm water (room temp warm) and add one drop of liquid soap, thats is, lightly mix it in, careful, you dont want suds. Peel off the sticker backing while holding it away from the area to be applied, spray literally the back side of the sticker and the area its going. Now start laying it in place using one of those 3M spatula looking thinks, work the air out as you set it in place, always work fromt he center, outward. Once that half is in place, do the other the same way. Once the sticker is all in place, work it with the spatula pushing from the center, outward. If you see a bubble, work it out, you may have to lightly pull up so that air can escape. If you have some real small bubbles, dont worry about them now. Now with a small pin, super sharp, poke the bubble to remove trapped air/water and squeegy it out.

• Brettv

Posted September 19, 2004 - 04:46 PM

G'day, im about to get new graphics too. and have a stupid question. since i have never done this before, wouldnt spraying soapy water on the sticker kind of wreck the stickeness? and make it not stick? :cry:
How does it work? :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ronnie Mac

Posted September 19, 2004 - 06:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing. You know about the soap residue.

• 5valve

Posted September 19, 2004 - 11:37 PM

if u use heat source, the water will evaporate leaving the glue intact and will stick much better

• Ronnie Mac

Posted September 20, 2004 - 07:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your post, but I might just try to contract this out. I have kids and every Christmas new toys with stickers just kill me ( never on straight).So I might leave it to steady hands. Maybe! :cry:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 20, 2004 - 08:37 PM

G'day, im about to get new graphics too. and have a stupid question. since i have never done this before, wouldnt spraying soapy water on the sticker kind of wreck the stickeness? and make it not stick? :cry:
How does it work? :cry:

Yes, its the whole idea, it allows you to push out the air, etc. If it stuck full boar right away, it would be tough to get it perfect. This is the actyual way the graphics are installed. The water/soap dries and its rock solid. I've done gobs of these and graphics are cars/trucks. Maybe a search on the net will also reveal this.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.