What oil should I run? (type & weight)

10 replies to this topic
  • socalcbr

Posted January 15, 2002 - 10:15 PM

I'm sure ya'll have done the oil thing a dozen times, but I'm new to the forum as well as to my '90 Honda XR600R. :)

I ride it HARD on the street. As in high revving, compression braking, canyon twisty road style.

I live in So-Cal and right now the typical riding day is about 55-75 degrees.

My questions are:

1) What type of oil should I use, Full Synth, Semi-Synth or Plain?

2) What weight is good to use?

3) Do you care if you use car oil or specific 4 stroke oil?

4) Why are there two different spots on my bike to drain the oil (one below the shift lever the other on the front of the frame).

THANKS! <rookie questions, hahah>

ps. what I've been using is 20-50 Semi-Synth Quaker State automotive oil.

• RedThunder

Posted January 16, 2002 - 08:57 AM

I just run 20/50 non-synthetic motorcycle oil. Why? Because its just easy to buy my oil at the same place I get my filter, and its cheaper than synthetic. Besides, I'm still not convinced that full-synthetic doesn't cause premature clutch wear.

There are two spots on your bike to drain the oil because there is oil in both places, and both need to be drained.

• socalcbr

Posted January 16, 2002 - 04:17 PM

Kevin, I had almost immediate clutch failure on my CBR900RR after using full-synth for the first time. :)

But after seeing how GOOD my engine looks after running it as hard as I did with just 1 quart in it, I'll almost swear by the semi-synth. :D

Even if I did lose one rocker arm :D Which just came in so I'm OUT of here to eat burritos then put the new rocker arm on. :D

Thanks for explaining the drain thing. Somewhere else someone mentioned an oil "catch" and that got me confused.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 16, 2002 - 06:07 PM

I too run 20-50 non-synthetic moto oil as it is cheap and safe for the clutches. Be aware that air cooled XRs run hot and need frequent oil changes. I tend to change my oil after 3 or 4 rides to be on the safe side.

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 16, 2002 - 07:51 PM

amsoil 0w-40.

works great and last even with the sharing the oil with the engine/clutch and gearbox. Best oil I have used in the Xrs so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Victor_Venturo

Posted January 17, 2002 - 11:47 PM

Mobile 1 15/50 full synthetic. Around $4 a Qt. They also make a motorcycle specific oil for twice the price.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 18, 2002 - 03:39 PM

I looked at the Mobil 1 15/50, but wonder about the effects on the clutch. I saw that it is non-energy conserving, what is the difference between this and the cycle oil? Anyone had any probs with it? Ryan :)

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 18, 2002 - 07:14 PM

the non motorcycle oils break down very fast from the clutch and drivetrain.

• socalcbr

Posted January 18, 2002 - 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Victor Venturo:
Mobile 1 15/50 full synthetic. Around $4 a Qt. They also make a motorcycle specific oil for twice the price.

Yeah I looked at the motorcycle specific Mobil One tonight at Kragen Auto Parts. It was selling for $4 and change. I considered it, but after reading the back and not seeing anything about what effect it might have on clutches, I passed it by for some Castrol Semi-Synth 20-50.

• ossagp1

Posted January 18, 2002 - 10:43 PM

I have been using Mobil 1 in xr's since the mid 80's and have had no clutch problems. We have had some built up enough to break the baskets, but no clutch plate problems. There are some sites to go to to read, but until just recently no one seems to have made anything better than Mobil 1 (it was in Rick Graham's and Bubba Shoebert's factory hondas) for motorcycles,,and it seems that their own mc specific oil may be the only one. FYI if you look there are no EC rated oils that have a lower viscosity rating than 10 and I found only one (quaker state) that had an upper rating higher than 30. Before the SJ rating I can't even remember starting clutch problems from EC oils. My XR's now run either 15-40 Mobil Delvac (Mobil 1 for Diesels) or 5-30 in colder times(I live in Alaska). Lots of people use the 15-50 with really good results too. FYI there are a few reasons why Diesel intended oils are favorable to motorcyles.

• ossagp1

Posted January 20, 2002 - 08:26 PM

Let me correct my wording on the above post,,,

I havent been able to find any oils that have an EC rating on a lower viscosity rating higher than '10'. FYI even the Generic brands such as NAPA branded oils in the 5-30,10-30 are all called Energy Conserving. For that reason I think it has way more to do with the viscosity than any magic additives to reduce friction, to get an EC rating.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.