XR600R rebuild

3 replies to this topic
  • michael_loomis

Posted September 18, 2004 - 08:12 PM

i just bought a 93' XR600R a couple months ago. unfortunately ...to make a looong story short :cry: ... it burned over 1 qt. of oil in 120 miles and locked up on me. i have pulled the motor out and pulled the the top end off to find the rod seized on the crank. i also see some pitting on some of the trans gears , but i havent split the cases yet. i really love this bike and its got every aftermarket accesary you can add (i.e. Scotts , excels , stator , DS kit etc.. ). i want to rebuild everything myself ... the labor isnt a problem for me unless there are some special tools ill need. ill let the machine shop handle the head , cylinder and crank being pressed into the left side half lol. but i can do the rest. first off , is this just a dumb idea? should i just hunt for a used motor ? i wanna race a SCORE race next year , and want it to be bullet proof.

just looking for some advice , thanks.

• Kritter

Posted September 18, 2004 - 10:03 PM

team up with me and run my 450 or 650...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roosterk0031

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Price out the pieces and compare it to service honda new engine, $2400 or so. Or look for an extra complete bike and have lots of spare parts. Probably still cheaper than a complete engine rebuild. David

• michael_loomis

Posted September 21, 2004 - 09:31 PM

well its about $500 for the trans gears i need and i found a factory crank/rod new for $420. i found a new rod/crank pin for only $160 but i guess i'll have to drop the crank off at a machine shop to see of the rest of the crank is ok. i've thought alot of buying a second parts bike , but dont want someone elses junk lol. thanks for the advice, i never thought about a complete motor from SH.

Kris ... whatcha got in mind ?? my buddy backed out once i told him of the $1100 entry fee lol

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 1 reply

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.