Kehin FCR Pumper jetting

4 replies to this topic
  • papa224

Posted January 14, 2002 - 07:10 PM

I just installed a kehin pumper and yosh rs-3 exhaust on my 97 xr600 and it makes awsome power from bottom to mid but at high rpm it almost acts like it hits a rev limiter. I pulled the plug and it looks pretty normal. not white but not black either. This may seem basic to some of you but this is the first big thumper I have owned. Do they even have a rev limiter? I never felt this with the stock carb. My gut says try a leaner main. I have a 170 main 50 pilot and the clip is 3rd from top. Any help from the carb gods? Thanks.....

• snaggleXR4

Posted January 15, 2002 - 02:25 AM

Hey,
First, I'm sure you know, XR's don't rev out like 2-strokes. However, if you didn't experience the problem with the stock carb, then it probably is the main jet. However, I would guess you are too lean on the main, no gas, no go. I would try a richer main, before I went leaner, just for your motor's sake, and for your wallet's sake.

Furthermore, I have a Mikuni Pumper on my XR400. The pumper allowed my engine to rev up quicker than ever before, a good thing, but with the low RPM nature of XR's, you rev out quicker. So, maybe that's it.

Is your power falling flat on it's face after the midrange, or are you just running out of RPM's? I think I would still enrichen your main, and maybe even your needle to see if it's better. If it is worse, then you KNOW you need to go leaner. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • papa224

Posted January 17, 2002 - 04:03 PM

ok here is the deal i went up to 175 and raised the needle one it was worse. i wnt to 168 same went all the way to 152 main and still wont rev at wot. the cool thing is i can feel it when i go from 3/4 to wot so i know its in the main jet but how far lean can i go? this does not seem normal. what do you think? i put the stocker back on and it runs smooth but i like the pumper power.

• mr660

Posted March 19, 2002 - 02:04 AM

i put a thumper racing 660 big bore kit on my 96' 600 ported and polished head. i am using a 72 pilot and a 178 main in the stock carb. it wouldn't hurt to take another jump to ?178-180 on the main because the carb is bigger and is a flat slide so it is moving alot more air. the needle would not necessarily need messed with because it covers mid range only(i would leave in the mid)if this does not work i will buy the carb off you!!

• sabin

Posted October 30, 2002 - 10:59 AM

Are you using 39mm or 41mm FCR?

There is also Main Air Jet in this carbs and flat top end is one of the symptoms of not using correct MAJ.

Search for "Jetting Qs" in Yamaha WR list (6 months ago) and you will find a lot of info for FCR jetting.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.