overseas factory legal 650R..possible parts?

11 replies to this topic
  • wickedsprint

Posted September 18, 2004 - 01:12 PM

I notice in australia the 650R is factory street legal..wonder if any of you have gone this route as far as fitting a ignition key...I am going to ask around at the shops today.

• XRMANU

Posted September 18, 2004 - 01:46 PM

The 650R is streetlegal in Europe also...

You can disconnect the kill-switch and replace it with a OEM Honda ignition key (from a mopped ....).It's just a plug-in :cry:

• wickedsprint

Posted September 18, 2004 - 06:13 PM

LOL...looking for a bit more security than that..IE the provision to lo0ck the handlebars if I am at work.

• nickn

Posted September 18, 2004 - 10:19 PM

The Australian model has a steering lock in the stem only and no ignition key.

• wickedsprint

Posted September 19, 2004 - 07:44 AM

I wonder if the steering lock can be adapted...

• XRMANU

Posted September 19, 2004 - 11:44 AM

oooh..that ..the steering lock...it's standard euro equipment on the 650.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gav_114

Posted September 19, 2004 - 05:00 PM

yep sory to say there is no ignition key in our AUS version

• wickedsprint

Posted September 19, 2004 - 07:25 PM

do the steering parts unbolt or do you reckon the frame is different?

• scarryone

Posted September 19, 2004 - 07:59 PM

I wonder if the steering lock can be adapted...

I would not worry too much about the steering locks; I just had my second dual sport stolen... XR650L few years ago from my mother’s front yard and my DR650 3 days ago from the Gym... Both had the steering lock ON and were in nice neighbor hoods. I am running out of good ideas I don’t know if 2 guys just throw the bike in a Truck or if the key/fork security is just easy to get around. I am working on a delay relay that will lock the front tire up after 60mph is reached if you don’t have authorsation code. :cry:

• qadsan

Posted September 19, 2004 - 08:04 PM

I am running out of good ideas

Just don't use a Kryptonite lock because they can be opened in just a few seconds with a ball point pen case :cry:

• nickn

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:29 AM

The steering lock in the stem is intergral with the stem. Dont waste your time, looks like a lot of work and thet are not very strong anyway.

• wickedsprint

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:44 PM

so I reckon the best method is to chain it to something, what a pain in th neck on a regular basis, I guess for quick jaunts to the store a hidden kill switch would suffice.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.