In Need of Suspension Settings

3 replies to this topic
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 10, 2002 - 07:02 PM

I have a 1993 XR600 and am looking for the correct suspension settings for my weight/riding type. I am about 6'2" and 205 lbs and ride medium speed woods trails with LOTS of rocks and roots. Anyone out there have any advice? Thanks in advance, Ryan

• qadsan

Posted January 10, 2002 - 09:11 PM

Hi Ryan,

If you're looking to find out the proper spring rates you need, check out this site and run their "Spring Rate Search" which should tell you what rate of springs to run. You can also give them a call and ask to speak to one of their tech people and see what they recommend.

http://www.racetech.com/rt/default.asp

If you plan to get new springs, then consider the Eibach springs over other brands. The Eibach fork springs I've used have always been full length springs where as some of the other brands are shorter and require spacers, etc. Eibach has a good name in the industry and are sold by most suspension shops.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted January 11, 2002 - 07:27 AM

Personally, stay away from the Eibachs. They sag very quickly, especially on cars.

Get the ractech or WB springs.

• qadsan

Posted January 11, 2002 - 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Matt96xr6:
Personally, stay away from the Eibachs. They sag very quickly, especially on cars.
Get the ractech or WB springs.

That's odd, because I talked to both White Brothers and Racetech and they both recommended the Eibach's over the other springs they sell. Also, I once talked to a guy who said his Racetech springs broke and he said he knew of other people with the same problem, but he's the only person I've heard this from and I've since talked to other Racetech spring owners who are happy customers. I really don't have any personal experience with Racetech springs, but I've had good luck with both White Brothers & Eibach springs. I worked at White Brothers for one summer 20+ years ago and used to paint their springs. If you decide on the White Brothers or Eibach springs, you can get them for 15% off their retail price through Fineline Motorsports and Suspension. Just ask for Tom who's the owner and he'll probably give you 15% off just about any item in the White Brothers catalog. Tom used to be in charge of Suspension at White Brothers in the early days for many years.

http://www.finelines...com/frames1.htm

On the flip side, I've personally heard from people and read various posts about Eibach springs sagging on cars, but not yet on dirt bikes (not to say it doesn't happen). I think if you look hard enough, you'll find comments on both sides of the fence for all manufacturers.

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: qadsan ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.