pilot screw

7 replies to this topic
  • higgy426

Posted June 27, 2001 - 02:23 AM

I made the mistake of taking out my pilot air screw before counting the turns in.
How many turns out do I need to be to be close to the factory setting

• z4me

Posted June 27, 2001 - 04:06 AM

2 turns out should do it good enough to set it correctly. Everyone says remember where it was set from the factory - I ask why? It isn't like you are ever going to need that info.

Get it started with it 2 turns out. Turn it out more until the RPMs drop - note how many turns that is. Then turn it in until the RPMs drop - note the turns again. Now set it in the middle of those two positions. It should start easy and be crisp off idle once you do it.

- Sean

• WR_Jason

Posted June 27, 2001 - 04:21 AM

Ok, Ill bite, how do you turn the thing while the bike is running? Are we talking abut the screw under but not in the float bowl?

• higgy426

Posted June 27, 2001 - 04:38 AM

thanx sean but jason has got a point
how do I adjust it

This sight makes my life easier

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted June 27, 2001 - 05:14 AM

Jason, adjusting it w/ the bike running is really the only way to set it correctly. You need a short screwdriver.

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, gray wire severed, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

• z4me

Posted June 27, 2001 - 06:27 AM

I use one of those small flathead screwdriver bits. I sink it into a 1/4 inch socket intended for a 3/8 inch ratchet. The socket gives you something to grab and watch for the number of turns.

Warm up the bike first and you slip it up in there from the left side. The screw is recessed in a hole on the bottom of the float bowl just forward of the 17mm drain plug.

There is also a tool out there - really an extension of the fuel screw that would make this really easy to do: http://www.kientech.com/mixture.jpg

Jesse Kientech's site states it is for a DRZ but it works on all FCRs.

- Sean

[This message has been edited by z4me (edited 06-27-2001).]

• WR_Jason

Posted June 27, 2001 - 06:41 AM

Hmmmm, ok, ill give that a whack then. I was thinking about breaking the clamps loose and trying to spin the carb a few degrees but dont want the angle to effect the operation of the carb while I am trying to set it. Man That whole thing is a tight fit in there, and I even have a remote hot start rig! Thanks for the tunning advise. I was wearry of turning that screw cause the book was all like, This has been set at the factory, Dont touch it dumbass! instead, open up your float bowl and adjust your pilot jet 1/4 turns at a time! Come on! It would take weeks to dial the thing in like that!

• higgy426

Posted June 27, 2001 - 06:47 AM

Mike Higgins

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.