WR owner opinions of CRF450X?

38 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted September 26, 2004 - 07:14 AM

The CRF Hondas have not had a good reliability record.

I had to push my WR home when it spit a key. First year bikes can be a problem.

• tl1ks

Posted September 27, 2004 - 12:07 PM

I got a buddy who's a DieHard Honda dirt guy..

he's got a GSXR1000, so he's not totally Reddified.. but he's got the CRF250x, and is Super Pissed about the valve problem.. he's only had the bike a few months, and is already having valve issues..

he was excited about he 450x coming out, but after his experience with his current 250, he's thinking WR!!!

I also ride a suzuki TL1000 so I'm not a diehard Yamaha guy either, but the WR was the perfect bike for me.. I liked the CRF450 when I was looking around... but it was too track focused.. I'm glad I went WR for sure.

• Matt03wr250f

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:34 AM

my boss (who rides a 2001 xr400 thats had a heap of work done on it; a 440 kit, forged piston, stage 3 cam etc) told me that the honda sales reps were claiming a piston life on the crf450 of 13 hours.

a new piston and rings every 1300k's? no thanks.

• kurtdb1

Posted November 02, 2004 - 10:11 AM

as an 05 WR450F owner and previous 99WR400F owner...that CRF450X looks awesome and Im sure its bullet proof with 1 excpetion....the top end...I have ridden my 400 through some major extremes and I can still put it away wet...whereas the CRF (X or not) will be a more high-maintenance bike like the KTMs (less oil capacity etc.)
However, if you are very mechanically inclined...(I am too lazy to be very mechanically inclined) the CRF might be the only choice. I like only having to change the oil every 5 rides instead of 3 or 2 in race conditions...and no top end rebuilds after every race season.

• NewfieWR

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:45 PM

My friend has a WR 400 with 18,750 miles on it !!! It still runs perfect. I'm sure it has at least 5000 of these miles on the back tire. He can ride a wheelie for miles...literally.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:53 PM

That is Great! :cry: :cry: :cry: A Wr that can go 20,000. miles and keep going! A CRF would have been rebuilt to death by then. :cry:

• jerryls

Posted November 03, 2004 - 10:48 AM

I saw in the new Dirt Rider that Honda is putting in two steel and two titanium valves on the new 450. Good to see they are trying to address the problem. Guess they just can't make it work with all titanium valves. I'll stick with my current bike.

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 03, 2004 - 03:28 PM

All the CRF's have two steel (exhaust) and two titanium (intake) valves. No change.

• jerryls

Posted November 03, 2004 - 03:44 PM

My bad. I assumed (insert joke here) that they previously had all titanium valves.

So now the question is why in the world would you put in two steel valves and two titanium valves? Aren't the titanium valves the ones that are crapping out?

Never mind. I'll just shut up and enjoy my Yamaha.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BURLEY

Posted November 03, 2004 - 07:22 PM

See my signature. Well, actually I can't complain about Honda. I put in 30 desert races on my XR650 without a single mechanical glitch. It is an EXTREMELY reliable bike....but when it came time to get something lighter and more "fun" to ride, I bought an '05 WR450. I was really contemplating staying Red but I see too many of my buddies pulling thier hair out over thier CRF valve and piston issues.

• Seabass

Posted November 03, 2004 - 07:44 PM

How can i form an opinion when the bikes not out yet? We'll just have to wait and see. But that being the case I sold my XR 650 and bought an '05 WR450. The CRFX isn't gonna hit stores until March and one dealer I talked to thinks the price will be between 7300 to 7800 dollars! When I heard that I decided to go blue. I've never ridden a Yamaha before but my brother rides a WR and loves it. Compared to my XR the WR seems complex to work on, the XR was super simple to work on where as the WR has way more "stuff" to deal with. One thing I won't miss about my XR is worrying about breaking foot peg mounting bolts off. I did it three times on my old bike- one time while doing a District 37 race and I knocked myself out! Honda wouldn't deal with that problem and I bet they won't be real receptive with any valve problems that occur with the CRFX

• huntmaster

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:38 AM

The CRFX isn't gonna hit stores until March and one dealer I talked to thinks the price will be between 7300 to 7800 dollars!

Cost is a good point. With the X model being the latest and greatest that people just gotta have, there will probably be few deals on them as they approach the KTM (Kost too Much) range AND are an unknown quantity. The Yamaha is a known quantity as far as performance and reliability, which cannot be said of the Honda and should be priced much better. It sounds like Honda has gone through great lengths to address the latter issue on the CRF, but... :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:58 AM

KTM (Kost Too Much) :cry: :cry: :cry:

How about? :cry:

CRF (Costly Running Fourstroke) :lol:
CRF (Crappy Repair Frequency) :lol:
CRF (Could Rebuild Frequently) :lol:

:cry: :lol: :lol:

• huntmaster

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:00 PM

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
KTM (Kost Too Much) :cry: :cry: :cry:

[/QUOTE]

At least KTM isn't (Kick for Ten Minutes) anymore with their nice electric legs now!

• dale

Posted November 04, 2004 - 03:51 PM

You guys rage on XR's for being out dated then complain that the new megavalve overhead ti electric trick-o-cycles are unreliable. You can't have it all. My time is the most valuable thing to me, so I ride my XR, and it didn't have any problem staying ahead of Indy's 450 so I guess I don't need any more power yet.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 04, 2004 - 05:38 PM

We are talking about CRF's and you dont own one Dale! :cry:

• Seabass

Posted November 04, 2004 - 05:44 PM

You guys rage on XR's for being out dated then complain that the new megavalve overhead ti electric trick-o-cycles are unreliable. You can't have it all. My time is the most valuable thing to me, so I ride my XR, and it didn't have any problem staying ahead of Indy's 450 so I guess I don't need any more power yet.

I really liked my 650 except for the right foot peg problem. One of the guys I ride with broke his ankle pretty bad after his foot peg bolts sheared. He went and got the Precision Concepts fix and broke the bolts again racing. After seeing that I decided to sell my XR. If Honda would've addressed the problem I'd probably still be riding it. But I broke my peg bolts three times and after you do it once you never really feel comfortable on that bike again

• dale

Posted November 05, 2004 - 02:31 PM

We are talking about CRF's and you dont own one Dale! :cry:

No I don't. But I do have 3 XR's a WR426 and just sold a DRZ400 and have rode thumpers since my '79 XR185. My point is most people think they need the latest highest tech whatever (dirt bike in this case), and that almost never will be the most reliable and lowest maintance what ever it is. The manufacturer's are providing what you want, I just don't think it's what a non-racer needs. The XR400 is no more, so the DRZ is the only "trail bike" 400-450cc left, the rest are all race bikes.
Anyway I'm sorry I singled you out Indy, I had a few beers and I get tired of all the my bike is better debates. What ever bike you like is the best bike for you. :cry:
Indy; do you want to try to ride at Wayne again this year? I think it's the first week of Dec. they close for winter.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 05, 2004 - 05:14 PM

Hi Dale. I dont think you have seen all my posts but I am a fan of DRZ's and XR's. I just make fun of the CRF's because they do deserve it. :cry: I am good to go back to Wayne National forest Thanks Giving weekend. I am tied up riding until then. I am riding LBL and Durhamtown the weekends before so I am looking to hook up and ride Nov 27 & 28th. PM me if you are going to be in home and want to ride a day or two. :cry: We can also ride KY first weekend in December if Wayne is not open. :cry: Congratulations on selling the 426! That helps with the new baby diaper costs! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.