Drain carb after each ride?

15 replies to this topic
  • bobwombat

Posted June 26, 2001 - 01:03 PM

i have been in the habit of shutting off the fuel petcock at the end of each ride & running the carb out of fuel before i put my bikes up for the day/week. don't ask me why i started this weird practice other than some obscure recommendation yrs ago as i recall. my riding buddy says its bad practice; that the fuel vents & leaves funky film, etc, etc. please, oh wise forum-mates. what is the opinion here? do i get the dunce-cap award today for this? many thx, bobwombat

• sirhk

Posted June 26, 2001 - 01:14 PM

I turn my fuel off after every ride and only drain the Carb if it's going to sit for months at a time. The only reason I even started doing this is cause once we pulled the carb apart on an old bike after sitting all summer and there was a algei like substance in it. So after that we started draining our carbs in the off season. As for if it's bad to do it everytime, I don't know!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Bill

Posted June 26, 2001 - 01:44 PM

WB,

You'd get kudos from me. I drain the fuel out of the bike by running it till she dies. When you trailer, the bike can bounce and slosh fuel into the motor. That's a guarantee you'll fould a plug :)

Just my two cents and yes, I'll take change :D

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 26, 2001 - 01:48 PM

Question: Since the passing fuel lubricates the valves, does running your engine until the carb is empty mean you are placing much premature wear on your valves?

• Bill

Posted June 26, 2001 - 02:06 PM

Question Two: If the motor runs out of fuel and dies. Is there opportunity for damage to occur Grasshopper??? :)

Bill

• #1_Hit-man

Posted June 26, 2001 - 02:30 PM

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, I will answer your question :)

------------------
00'YZ426F 00'XR50R LATER DAYS!!!

• freshy

Posted June 26, 2001 - 05:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill:
[B]WB,

You'd get kudos from me. I drain the fuel out of the bike by running it till she dies. When you trailer, the bike can bounce and slosh fuel into the motor. That's a guarantee you'll fould a plug :)

With all that bouncing around trailering and no fuel for your floats to ride on, I guess you have to calibrate your float height more often huh?
fershy

• Bill

Posted June 27, 2001 - 01:57 AM

Fershy,

Actually no. I have had the carb off a few times in the last 1.5 years and it has been fine.

Now that I have the EKP and YZ timing, the bike fires first kick every time :)

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • *mike68*

Posted June 27, 2001 - 03:14 AM

I think you guys worry about too much. My fuel stays on always and I never run it dry. No problems. When my carb starts to seep fuel, I will rebuild it. To me, it is a toy that is meant to have the living crap beat out of it, then periodic maintenance and repairs, then have the crap beat out of it again. I know many of you feel different about your rides and thats a good thing for your bike, but I do my best not to sweat every little thing. To each his on on this one I say.

• Pete_Z

Posted June 27, 2001 - 03:55 AM

I drain my carb for off-season storage,and always shut the fuel valve off for transport,or when the bike is parked(but I don't run it dry) and have never had a problem.Depending on quality,fuel can start to oxidize(go bad) in less than a week in a vented container,but it takes quite a while for it to become useless.Apparently pre-mix deteriorates even quicker than straight gas.If your bike sits idle often,and you want some peace of mind,add a small amount of fuel stabilizer to your tank.Just my 2 cents.

• mikeolichney

Posted June 27, 2001 - 01:47 PM

There is an easy allen head drain screw on our carbs. I use that if its going to sit for more than a week. I don't like the idea of running it dry.

• arrow

Posted June 28, 2001 - 03:48 AM

Running your bike out of fuel is good practice of you are going to leave it sit for a while. Otherwise the fuel will start to deteriorate and leave behind sludge/lacure tipe of film that will block your jets up.

either by runing it out or draining it will do no damage to your bike

• *mike68*

Posted June 28, 2001 - 04:05 AM

I think the root of this issue starts at work.
See, if it weren't for work we all would ride more, constantly cycling fresh gas through and there would only be the issue of trailering you bike around. :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• sirhk

Posted June 28, 2001 - 05:34 AM

Yeah, I think Mike nailed it on the head. Just think without work we could ride numerous times a week. Heck if I was able to hit the track 4 days a week and then ride single track mtn. stuff the other days I would be in great shape and some of the pros might have me to worry about then. Although I'm sure if you guys were riding everyday I'd have to worry about you also. :) :D :D :D :D :D

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Ga426owner1

Posted June 28, 2001 - 05:52 AM

BOB, you do not need to burn all the gas out of the carb each time. If you are not going to ride for a month or longer I would suggest doing this. I also do not fill my 3.2 gal IMS tank up unless I am going to use all the gas within 2 weeks. For a leasure day ride, only fill tank for what is needed. Use extra gas can/tank for extra fuel.

• mcarp

Posted June 28, 2001 - 06:15 AM

I have to agree with Bill on this one. If I don't run the carb dry (or until it starts to sputter), I can almost guarantee I'll foul a plug the next time I start the bike. The road to the riding areas are generally full of potholes which shakes the bike quite a bit.

This (was) consistent for me last year, no kidding! As far as float height changes, well it has not been a problem in 18 months. The floats are so light, they simply don't put enough weight on the tang to bend it. Jumping from a landing would put much more strain on the tang.

Better safe than sorry. Definately drain the carb using the drain screw if you plan on storing the bike for more than 1 month.

Since there's no lead in the fuel (which was added to lube and pad the valves of yesteryear), I doubt this is going to be an issue. Sure, it does run lean for the 15 seconds when the gas level is getting low, but that time is negligable.

Just my $.02

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.