O1 Tranny Issues?

11 replies to this topic
  • woods426

Posted September 17, 2004 - 03:39 AM

Got a question that hopefully one of the experts around here can help me with.

I just picked up a 01 YZ 426 that was pretty much beat, but I only payed 1000 for it, so I knew the thing was going to be more or less a project bike. Ive found many things wrong with the bike, but the problem I'm working on right now has to do with fifth gear, its just like another neutral, no griding lurching or anything, just pretty much nothing when shifted into fifth. The kid I bought it from says its been that way shortly after he bought it, a likely story if I've ever heard one :cry:

Anyways, I've got the bike torn down, the cases apart, and whats most puzzling to me is I can find nothing visually wrong with any of the parts and I can twist the shift drum by hand and the thing seems to shift into fifth and engage just fine?? Any ideas of what to replace first?

• woods426

Posted September 20, 2004 - 05:28 AM

TTT.

:cry: :cry:

• motocrosschump

Posted September 20, 2004 - 06:05 AM

Shift fork bent?? I have that same project soon to be going on.

• GetSumBaby

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:35 PM

Is this a hard project? 4th gear is going out in my bike and it will be about $800 for a shop to fix it!! Is this something I can do at home in my garage with regular tools?

Ed

• woods426

Posted October 24, 2004 - 11:34 AM

Asking for some more advice here please. I replaced the shift fork that actuates fifth gear because it did have sustantial wear marks on one side of it. I bench tested it ratcheting through all the gears numerous times and it seemd like fifth was engaging fine. BUT after buttoning up the whole bike and running it I still have no fifth gear. The symptoms are the same as before just a big nothing when shifting into fifth, its like theres an neutral at the top instead of a gear.

I assume the problem must also be one of the gears or multiple sets of them, which ones do I need to replace?? Help!! :cry:

• Hick

Posted October 24, 2004 - 03:30 PM

I assume the problem must also be one of the gears or multiple sets of them, which ones do I need to replace?? Help!! :cry:

Did you check the dogs? A common problem is worn dogs on the fourth-to-fifth connection on the main shaft. Even if it mocks up right it may be slipping under power.

Check the dogs on both the fourth and fifth wheels on the main shaft...

If the old fork was worn that implies that the gear it works on has a lot of wear also...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper245

Posted October 24, 2004 - 09:07 PM

My buddy had the same problem with his 426. His problem with 5th was he was riding it on the pavment. He was racing a couple of street bikes. The tourqe from power shifting did it. He took his to the shop and it was only about a hundred bucks to get it fixed. I am not shure what was the problem but I think the gear was striped or it was the shifting fork. He happend shortly after he got it also.

• GetSumBaby

Posted October 25, 2004 - 06:26 PM

my '02 4th gear was slipping. Took it to the shop and had to replace 5 gears and 1 shift fork. Ran me about $600.00.

Ed

• 01yz426

Posted October 31, 2004 - 11:24 PM

My bike has been going strong since it was new, and today it looks even better than the 2005's.... I'll post some pics to prove it tomorrow.... My latest upgrade were some Pro-Taper donuts, work great and very comfortable..

• tool

Posted November 01, 2004 - 02:21 AM

my '02 4th gear was slipping. Took it to the shop and had to replace 5 gears and 1 shift fork. Ran me about $600.00.

when i stripped my 4th gear it cost maybe $200.
when i bent a shift fork and blew 3rd gear, it cost $150.
when i was a newbie, i broke my CB gear, took it to the shop and it cost over $1000. screw those guys at the shop, they could even route the wires correctly. :cry:

it just isnt worth taking it to a so-called "shop". :cry:

• YZDAD1

Posted November 01, 2004 - 05:19 AM

I would check the shift shaft mechanism (scissors) and the pawls at the end of the shift drum. I would suspect that the tips of the scissors are worn and will not rotate the drum with the shift lever, but when you rotate the drum on the bench by hand it travels fully into position.

• woods426

Posted November 08, 2004 - 02:21 PM

Just a quick follow-up. On the advice in some PM's from Grayracer513 I ordered up a new third gear pinion, along with a WR fifth gear set. Since this bike will see zero track use, I thought this would work well in the woods and allow me to lower the overall gearing, but not lose to much top speed.

Did it work? Yep, I finally have a fifth gear, thank god. It seems geared just about right with 13/51 overall gearing, first is plenty low and the WR fifth is more then high enough for good fireroad speed without screaming the guts out of the bike for long periods of time.

So anyways, just wanna extend a big thanks to Grayracer and everybody else for thier two cents.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.