2002 XR650L Gearing

9 replies to this topic
  • DSMeter

Posted January 01, 2002 - 05:51 PM

My father and I just got our new 650L's. We're an old desert family, So Cal M/C's (District 37), and haven't riden in a while. Decided to dual sport it! Love our new bikes...were more pleased than expected! Only immediate thing we both noticed was 1st gear was too tall. We're thinking of adding 4 teeth to rear sprocket to assist problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lovin' our 4strokes!!

• cyclenav

Posted January 02, 2002 - 01:54 PM

I'm not sure on the 2002, on my old '93650L I had to change the rear chain guide, but I can't remember if it was 48 or 50 teeth at the time. Something to look into anyway. I'm back to a 14/45 now with a 675 kit, seems to work well for me. I do remember that the chain would fit through the guide, even with 50 teeth, but it would wear out the chain and guide very quickly. I think the chain wears out the slide in the first few minutes, then the chain starts taking hits from the little 6mm bolts (10mm heads) that hold the guide together. I did not experience this first hand, a riding buddy did instead! I bought a Scotts guide to avoid the problem entirely. May not even be an issue on the '02, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents' worth! Enjoy the bike, Mark

• 2002_XR650L

Posted January 04, 2002 - 06:35 AM

Try this site out, its for the XRL only. There were several people inquiring about gearing just this past week. Someone even posted a gearing chart for the "L". The group is,
http://www.groups,ya...om/group/xrlug.
Ray

• cyclebob25168

Posted January 06, 2002 - 10:55 PM

I have a 93 650l and went down 1 tooth in front and 4 up in back,had to do a little work on the chian guard,but work out fine.

Now i can ride it on trails or street :)

xr650r
drzE
xr650l

• Moredesert

Posted January 06, 2002 - 03:04 PM

I would just drop the front sprocket 1 tooth. That would be easiest. 1 tooth in front = ~3 in the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikew

Posted January 11, 2002 - 05:19 AM

Actually,

You're probably better off going up 3-4 teeth in the rear than down 1 in front. A smaller sprocket up front tends to wear more quickly than a larger in the rear. Just a thought.......

• mikew

Posted January 11, 2002 - 05:21 AM

Actually,

You're probably better off going up 3-4 teeth in the rear than down 1 in front. A smaller sprocket up front tends to wear more quickly than a larger in the rear. Just a thought.......

• skeeder

Posted February 01, 2002 - 01:21 AM

I have an xr650l I left the front alone with 15 teeth, and put a 48 on the rear, I think the 14 tooth on the front Might harm your first gear, it did on mine, and I had to replace it, I'm thinking of going to a 15 47 just so the rmp will come down a bit on the highway. also the edle brok carb is a big plus the the xr, have the quick silver with the pumper on it, makes a big difference. rob

• jamesp

Posted February 01, 2002 - 04:10 AM

What did it do to your first gear?

• dirtboy

Posted February 02, 2002 - 02:34 PM

My XR600R, which is basically the same bike has a 14/48 as standard, so you should be able to go to a 14 in the front. I rode all over baja with 15/48 an it was the perfect combination

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.