weight

19 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted September 16, 2004 - 10:27 AM

o.k. after all of the weight loss surgery(starter stuff 14 lbs,yz rr fender 2lbs less,yz airbox 2lbs less,ironman 1 less,odo and cable 1 less,kickstand gone 3 less) i've got it down to 253 lbs without gas. now the claimed dry weight of this thing was 247 ya right! now i've taken off 23 lbs and the extras i've added(handgaurds,faast inserts,devol gaurds) all total 7 lbs so that is a reduction over stock of 16 lbs. ok so allowing 9 lbs for fluids(oil,shock oil,coolant)so this thing stock should weigh 256 oiled up without gas,yaaaa try 269! thats a 13 lb difference from yamahas claimed weight,talk about a screwing.do they weigh it without tires? i would certainly like to know how they came up with that #. :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted September 16, 2004 - 11:57 AM

My WR426 with Devol Rad guards, EE handguards and a skid plate and a lighter FMF Q exhaust weighed 268 lbs. wet without gas. Claimed was 246 lbs. dry.

We've known for a long time that Yamaha's scales are operated by guys on crack. :thumbsup:

• r_dawg1021

Posted September 16, 2004 - 12:00 PM

Dumb question but how do you weigh your bikes? Is this an industrial scale that caliberated correctly? Or do you simply slide a piece of plywood over the bathroom scale and throw the bike on it? Just curious, I'd like to see what my pig is up to :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted September 16, 2004 - 12:17 PM

We actually did the front wheel, then the back wheel on a scale. I know it could be a lb or so off but it's far from what they claim. My buddies KTM 450 EXC in the same state was 256 lbs. and it felt every bit of 13 lbs. lighter than my WR did.

We used the same scale, the same day, at the same place.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 16, 2004 - 12:36 PM

Dumb question but how do you weigh your bikes? Is this an industrial scale that caliberated correctly? Or do you simply slide a piece of plywood over the bathroom scale and throw the bike on it? Just curious, I'd like to see what my pig is up to :thumbsup:

i have a doctors beam scale that you can zero with the 5 gallon bucket(3lbs) and put the bike on the upside down bucket and it should be fairly accurate.i was kinda depressed it only got down to 253 but it definately is lighter just not as light as i thought! still payin us back for nagasaki i guess :devil: foolish americans never know the difference hahaha, well this one did,wonder if you could sue for false advertising? :awww:

• jwriott

Posted September 16, 2004 - 12:57 PM

I'd say you did damned good reducing the weight. Something like what you've done is what I want from Yamaha, Honda or anybody else who will make an enduro without the starter and battery to make it lighter. :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted September 16, 2004 - 05:55 PM

the manual shows the "basic weight" with oil and gas as 269lbs in the general specifications section. makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 16, 2004 - 06:40 PM

well here again they stretch the truth when they say gas they mean maybe a pint,it weighs 269 without gas!a full tank would put it up around 290! :thumbsup:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:04 PM

ncmountainman, have you tried taking a big poop before you go riding? :thumbsup: Hey, it all adds up! :devil:

• huskydoc

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:52 PM

I believe the weight issue is all relevant to what your used to riding, i.e. if your used to riding a 2 stroke 125/250 the WR may feel heavy and if you ride a Husky TE610 pig (my other bike) that same WR feels like you can do freestyle MX on it. Now if Yamaha is lyeing about their claimed weight I really feel sorry for the XR650 owners when Honda claims they weigh 277 dry.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted September 17, 2004 - 06:16 AM

ncmountainman, have you tried taking a big poop before you go riding? :cry: Hey, it all adds up! :cry:

ya,i'll send it ups ground so you can weigh it! :cry: no seriously though people say oh just lose some of the beer belly and you'd be better off. well what i say to that is that is, why is it they strive for lighter bikes every year> they are deinately not getting heavier.why? because lighter is better! all of you who are happy with it the way they are ,the more power to ya. i myself have never been happy with anything stock(always looking for better,kinda like the tool man) and if i can make it lighter by losing some parts that belong on a street bike anyhow, why not? everyone says oh you just turned it into a yz,well its not,i call it a WZ and i think yamaha should make one so its easier for the technically impaired to get one,instead of just settling for what they have and ridicule others for pushing the envelope a little! :cry:

• jwriott

Posted September 17, 2004 - 07:22 AM

I'd like to see Dirt Rider or somebody do this to their test bike. Strip the thing down and see how much weight they can lose on the bike and write a test with the results against a stock bike.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 17, 2004 - 09:17 AM

i can tell you now,its a whole different bike! now you flick it,instead of wrestle it. and as far as not having the starter,i put on a pro-tec kwik-kick(shorter kick lever that turns the motor faster) starts one kick almost everytime,not only is this kicker lighter than stock,its way easier to reach(you don't have to pick your leg up so high). and the rekluse clutch totally eliminates stalling in precarious places,so thats not an issue anymore. so the only other issue is cost. well whats a new ktm 450 run about 8500? thats exactly what i have in mine and dollars to donuts says the next time i run one i'll stomp it! i ran with them before, and ran about even. and the neat thing is everyone who might do this can customize exactly to fit their size and riding style,you just gotta love such a versatile bike! :cry:

• F6dood

Posted September 17, 2004 - 03:24 PM

If you're so worried about the weight of the bike, what about that cheeseburger and fries you had for lunch? Haa!! I don't know what my 426 weighs but sometimes it sure feels heavy. Especially when airborne.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 17, 2004 - 05:09 PM

hey i've lost over 20lbs in the last 6 months also,so i'm not just tryin to make up for the cheeseburgers by choppin up my bike! the bike is just so much more nimble you wouldn't beleive that 23 lbs would make such a difference. :cry:

• r_dawg1021

Posted September 18, 2004 - 09:44 PM

i can tell you now,its a whole different bike! now you flick it,instead of wrestle it. and as far as not having the starter,i put on a pro-tec kwik-kick(shorter kick lever that turns the motor faster) starts one kick almost everytime,not only is this kicker lighter than stock,its way easier to reach(you don't have to pick your leg up so high). and the rekluse clutch totally eliminates stalling in precarious places,so thats not an issue anymore. so the only other issue is cost. well whats a new ktm 450 run about 8500? thats exactly what i have in mine and dollars to donuts says the next time i run one i'll stomp it! i ran with them before, and ran about even. and the neat thing is everyone who might do this can customize exactly to fit their size and riding style,you just gotta love such a versatile bike! :cry:

Yet another question from someone new to dirt. You can strip all you want off the bike but doesnt a 4-stroke engine itself weigh more than a 2 stroke? It seems that the people creating these "WZ" may have too much money eh'? Is there buyers remorse and they wish they would've bought the YZ? Seems like it's cheaper to just buy a heavier fly-wheel and throw it on the YZ and have a "YR". I guess I just think too logical or something and it seems like a bit of a waste of $$. :cry:

• jwriott

Posted September 19, 2004 - 06:45 AM

I guess I just think too logical or something and it seems like a bit of a waste of $$.

Read the specs between the 2 bikes and you'll realize why people are interested in doing this. The YZ has a 4-speed which sucks off road. 1st gear is very tall and by the time you gear it down, top speed is super low.

YZ has:
1. 19" rear wheel instead of an 18" which gives a much harsher ride on rocks and roots.
2. Smaller radiators and no overflow bottle which can lead to overheating on tight trails.
3. Less flywheel weight so it stalls easier.
4. Smaller gas tank.
5. YZ does not have a lighting coil so you can't add lights without a lot of extra expense.

Yes the 2-stroke engine is lighter but we'd all like a light off road 4-stroke. A lot of us don't care about e-start and would rather have as light a bike as possible.

NCmountain, I could have purchased an 04' KTM 450 EXC for $6500 delivered to my door so $8500 is way too high.

• r_dawg1021

Posted September 19, 2004 - 08:25 AM

So after all this weight is shaved is it an MX friendly bike or is it still questionable on a big track? Just wondering if guys are doing this for trails or so they can MX it? Sounds like a lot of guys use their bikes for MX and trails.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 19, 2004 - 09:01 AM

i really didn't know what a ktm cost,i thought they were more than 7500. but nothing about dirtbikes(or any other form of recreation taken to an extreme)is not cheap!i'm setting my bike up for harescrambles racing(1st race in almost 20 yrs!) 1st one will be 1st wkend in oct. can't wait,i just hope i can get enough practice in with the new clutch between now and then.so far it seems to increase overall speed,the only problem is downshifting from 2nd often finds neutral,maybe a quick flick of the lever while downshifting is in order? other than that i am totally satisfied with the race readiness of my machine so the rest is up to me! as far as mx goes my bike is still set up mainly for the woods and may still suffer behind a real yzf on the track but i think it would make it up on the trail portion of the races,even more so than what i would lose on the mx portion. so "its all good" we'll see. and as far as costing too much,you just can't put a pricetag on the pleasure i get in return! :cry: :cry:

• creeker

Posted September 04, 2006 - 04:38 AM

I got a 01' WR, with Acerbis Front Plate, YZ Rear Fender, kick stand removed and a YZ silencer and I took it to a local track this weekend and let some dude ride it that was on a YZ 125. After he got back from a couple trips around the track he said... How do you ride this MULE???? LOL! I guess when your on a 125 then you get on this beast... it would feel like a mule!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.