Honda's Shame

7 replies to this topic
  • Robert

Posted December 29, 2001 - 11:21 AM

What do you guys think of the decision of Honda not to sponsor Johnny Campbell in the Paris/Dakar this year? The guy came 8th last year and was the highest privateer.I would have thought Mr.H would have had the sense to support the guy in the number one off-road endurance event in the world ,what do you think? :)

• Dutch

Posted December 29, 2001 - 12:30 PM

It's too bad for sure - Johnny was fun to follow with Speedvisions excellent coverage of the P-D. Lets hope that continues with the new ownership,(perhaps a stock car class is needed).
Now - can somebody tell me what header is used on his bike? The left cylinder pipe runs back under the carb. --------- Thanks

• Robert

Posted December 29, 2001 - 11:02 PM

I thought he used a Pro Circuit system ? :)

• XyzGuy

Posted January 04, 2002 - 12:42 PM

This is what I think. It's all about money and focus. The money part is simple, they just spent $$$$$$$$$ on R.C. for MX. They are trying to re-capture their past MX racing glory. This costs $$$. They probably feel that the investment does'nt justify the return. As I understand, it is a very very expensive race. The focus part is this, Honda is a very focused company when it wants to be and they are giving a lot of time to thier MX models (as usual) mostly the 450. Dakar simply does not fit in right now. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Robert

Posted January 06, 2002 - 12:07 AM

Can you imagine the size of Honda as a corporation and they can't send one guy with back-up on a production bike to one of the most respected races in the world when the guy gets a very good result last year first time out. Cheap or what!! :)

• rhh4

Posted January 06, 2002 - 02:33 AM

I was reading an interview with John Cambell and he was saying that Honda's only priority for him was to race and win the Baja 1000 with Staab, the rest of the races were for training and testing for the event. Maybe they do not feel the pd is not a good "training" event.

• XyzGuy

Posted January 06, 2002 - 09:36 AM

Imagine how much it must cost to sponsor one rider and two bikes for Dakar. You are going through many third world countries over a zillion miles. The logistics are mind boggling! I bet you could sponsor 10 riders in the Baja race for the price of one at Dakar!!!

• Robert

Posted January 07, 2002 - 12:38 PM

Please give me a break guys. Take a look at the bikes in the Dakar at the minute. They are mostly KTM .Do you mean to tell me KTM can support this many riders and Honda (probably the biggest manufacturer in the world ) cannot support one rider.Please!!!!!!!

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.