Compression lever issues. Too much cord

5 replies to this topic
  • BIGGITY

Posted September 16, 2004 - 08:21 AM

I have a XR650R and my compression lever is not working right. I broke down the bike last night and it looks as though I have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches too much cord. How can I fix this since there is those balls on each end that hook into the levers so I can't cut it. Has anyone had this problem? Need help quick because I'm supposed to ride Saturday and I need to get this fixed.

• TimBrp

Posted September 16, 2004 - 08:40 AM

Seems strange to me. Either A. your cable is stretched beyond all recognition or B. It is routed wrong or C. It's been out of adjustment for a while(not good). However, none of this matters. You can ride without the cable. You just need to follow the standard thumper start-up procedure and you'll be fine. Fine TDC and go an inch or so past it and kick her good. Should fire right up. Get a new cable.

• BWB63

Posted September 16, 2004 - 08:42 AM

If it is the stock cable it is not to long. The monting bracket may have gotton bent back some how and now you can't adjust out the slack. It dosn't take much to make it work. This cable can't stretch that much. Bend the mounting bracket on the engine toward the front of the bike and then adjust the adjuster till the the decompression arm is parrallel with the ground.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIGGITY

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:04 AM

Well I can kick and kick and kick and it won't lock into the TDC postion. This is really wierd

• BIGGITY

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:08 AM

If it is the stock cable it is not to long. The monting bracket may have gotton bent back some how and now you can't adjust out the slack. It dosn't take much to make it work. This cable can't stretch that much. Bend the mounting bracket on the engine toward the front of the bike and then adjust the adjuster till the the decompression arm is parrallel with the ground.

I'm assuming the mounting bracket is the one on the handle bars or are you talking about the bracket next to the engine? I crash a lot so maybe something slid allowing a lot of free-play on the cable.. I'll check it out when I go back to my house for lunch. :thumbsup: Thanks Guys for your quick responses.

• BWB63

Posted September 16, 2004 - 12:30 PM

Bracket on the engine :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.