Thinking about going orange

31 replies to this topic
  • tigerowner_ut

Posted September 17, 2004 - 11:53 AM

I have 2 friends with 300 EXCs. Both have had no problems whatsoever. If you are over 6' tall get the 300. If you are smaller consider the 200. If I had the money to buy another bike the 200 would be on the top of the consideration list. Light, flickable, you can use the full power range on a trail. Perfect!

• jwriott

Posted September 17, 2004 - 12:11 PM

I rode a KTM 4 stroke for about 3 months - MUCHO wrenching... I have friends who ride the 2 smokes when they are not ....wrenching on them. I understand you weight issues but what good is a reduction in weight if you or not riding :cry:. In Colorado, or any other Mountain West state, it is nice to pull up to the fuel dock and get your 2.5 gallons and keep going without busting out the ratio rite and mixing :cry:.

First off, I take really good care of my equipment. Your statement about 2-strokes being less reliable than 4-strokes is retarded. :cry: The 300's are extremely reliable. All I can say about wrenching is I've never changed as many spark plugs in my life as I did with the WR. I could take the seat and tank off blind folded.

The 300 will get 80-90 miles out of a tank from what I've experienced so far. Worst case, I could carry a couple ounces of oil and add gas. None of the guys I ride with can go that far so it really isn't a problem. There are very few places I can ride up to a gas station near the trails. I've never bought a dirt bike to be a dual sport. If you ride around on the street all the time, premix is a pain in the :cry:.

I've also got buddies riding KTM 400, 450, 520 and 525 EXC's and other than fork seal issues, the bikes have been very reliable. I also suspect that their seal issues are due to lack of preventative maintenance as they could do a little more to keep their bikes in good shape.

Have you ridden a 2004 or 2005 KTM 300 EXC? If not, I don't really see how you can even comment. I responded to the thread because Comp182 is thinking of doing the exact same thing I did.

• blireef

Posted September 17, 2004 - 12:31 PM

So buy the 300!! :cry: :cry: No use in bad mouthing each other or each other's bike. Different strokes for different folks. But by the way I've had 2 wr's for three years and NEVER had to change a plug, somethings wrong on that comment.

• jwriott

Posted September 17, 2004 - 01:05 PM

So buy the 300!! :cry: :cry: No use in bad mouthing each other or each other's bike. Different strokes for different folks. But by the way I've had 2 wr's for three years and NEVER had to change a plug, somethings wrong on that comment.

If you are referring to me, I already did. Again, the reason I responded to the post, I had a 2001 WR426 and bought an 2004 300 EXC. I'm not bad mouthing the WR's and I liked my bike a lot and it was a tough decision for me to get rid of it. There were all kinds of BS comments from people about how the WR's weren't reliable when I bought mine which was a load of crap as well. They are extremely reliable if you do the maintenance.

I just think inaccurate comments about the KTM's need to be addressed. If Yamaha would bring their YZ250WR here, I would have bought that but no luck.

I had a 2001 WR426. Here in Colorado, I did have to change a lot of plugs on the bike. This is a common issue and nothing wrong with my comment. I worked for a long time to get the jetting straightend out. Check back and view all the posts from LarryCo and the countless hours he spent on jetting which was a huge benefit for me. After this, I rarely fouled plugs but it still happened occasionally.

• chipwich

Posted September 17, 2004 - 02:20 PM

I just had the opportunity to ride a '04 450EXC back to back with my '04 WR450F, and although not a 300, you might find the observations helpful. Both the EXC rider and I came to the same conclusions, and he had owned an '03 WR450F. BTW, both of us have been riding and racing dirt bikes for more than 30 years.

In a nut shell, the EXC is lighter and is a better tight woods weapon. No surprise. It sits lower, feels a little narrower, and is a little bit lighter. It has a softer hit on the bottom, but revs out quite well. Suspension is excellent, although not quite as supple as the WR. They both get comparative gas mileage, but the WR has a bigger tank. His right fork seal was weeping.

We ran some drag races on the street from different gears, and then swapped bikes, since I weigh 60 lbs. more than him. Both agreed that the Yamaha was a little bit faster, with much more on the bottom. The EXC is a rever and has a 6th gear, so it works better on the street. I could easily cruise it at 70MPH, where as the WR gets busy above 55-60.

The WR was more comfortable, and when the trails opened up into wide single or double track, it felt superior in power and suspension. The Yamaha turns so well, that it hides it's weight. However, in tight woods, say bye bye, and the 300 would be even quicker. Another rider with use rode both bikes, and decided that 400EXC would probably be the best of both worlds.

Both of us think the WR has better aesthetics. Orange?

Personally, for the mixed riding that I do I could be happy on either. But, I feel like I can go faster on the blue bike due to the ergonomics and suspension. I'm 6'2"/225.

2 strokes are not inherently bad. Lots of power in a light, low maintenance package. But again, having raced them for 30 years, a 4 stroke IMHO is superior in tractability for the non pro rider. Been there, done that as the saying goes, and I'm not going back. :cry: You might enjoy it. For the few hours a week that I get to ride, I want a 450 thumper with long suspension, I.E. the ultimate play/race bike. Make it blue for now (always has been), although that red thing coming in February going to be nice.

Good luck.

• SMD

Posted September 17, 2004 - 08:15 PM

Great thread I love it!! So let me muck up the water even more.
I am on my third WR, having owned XR's and EXC's previously. I love my WR450 and have no plans of letting it go,having said that I am next in line for 300E at my dealer.I am a firm believer in differant bikes for differant applications.....can't have too many dirt bikes right?
I have spent some quality time on a friends 04 300E and was very impressed.As I mentioned the WR stays but I won't miss the extra 40 pounds at altitude on the tight stuff.
Bottom line is I like bikes, two wheels,a motor, and a twisty grip!!! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blireef

Posted September 17, 2004 - 09:15 PM

great response chiwich and vmax, these are all great bikes and I could be perfectly happy with a 300 if all I did was tight woods stuff, if fact I'd probably be happier, but when I throw Baja into the picture the WR wins hands down for dual purpose. BTW my best riding buddy rides an exe450 and my other riding partner in Washington rides a 300 so I'm really familiar with the front and rear view of both bikes. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• jwriott

Posted September 18, 2004 - 06:33 AM

but when I throw Baja into the picture the WR wins hands down for dual purpose.

I'd say the 300 is an awefull bike for dual sport/WFO applications. We ride Moab every year and in the sand washes, even the WR426 was not geared high enough for me. I was constantly looking for 6th gear. This is one area I had to comprimise with this bike. Top speed is about 80 mph compared to 90 mph and it's not as comfortable hanging out at the upper end for long periods of time. If I was in Baja, I'd have to gear the WR up a lot.

If I could have somehow convinced the wife that I REALLY needed 2 bikes, the WR would still be at my house. I plan on keeping this bike when I get another 4-stroke in a couple years. That gives me time to think of a good plan to present to the wife. :cry: Maybe a KTM 525 EXC with an extra set of motard wheels. :cry:

The funny thing about all this is I'm pretty much a die hard Honda guy and as you've noticed, I had a Yamaha and now a KTM.

• Stefe9999

Posted September 19, 2004 - 03:44 PM

Yo Vmax,
After our mud trip, I calculated I'm getting 30mpg. Times 3.4 gallons, thats 102 miles. I think my at least my *bike* can make it to your 80-90 mile mark! :cry:

My forks are back, Can't wait to trying them this week, I'll go to Berthoud one afternoon (Tue or Thurs).
:cry:

• Drtbykr

Posted September 19, 2004 - 05:58 PM

I don't blame you. I hear a lot about KTM's being unreliable
and expensive but I have beefs with my WR. I'm thinking of starting a Blue Lemon campaign. It won't e-start well(at all some times and I'm scared of my starter gear anyway so I almost always kick it), it sucked grit through the breather hose trying to kick it in 7 inches of mud ($1409, ouch), the plastic looks like it should be in a junk yard after 600kms, the stock bars suck, and it's heavy to boot. Some stuff I knew about. P.S. It isn't for sale because I owe to much on it to sell and there isn't a KTM dealer around, let alone a good one. It is put away until I can get my big bill paid off and I'll be driving it next spring.When I'm on it and it's working good I like the power since I'm a pretty big boy.
I envy people who live in big towns that have there choice of dealers for a model type!! Then they could get a good dealer (or at least the best one).
I take mine to a guy who eats, sleeps and breathes MX and sells parts and is always willing to help. But he doesn't have a franchise.
Anyway, go Red, Blue, Orange whatever. Let the dealers reputation decide. Good luck.

Good luck Shane L.

• jhteneyck

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:42 PM

"First off, I take really good care of my equipment. Your statement about 2-strokes being less reliable than 4-strokes is retarded. The 300's are extremely reliable. All I can say about wrenching is I've never changed as many spark plugs in my life as I did with the WR. I could take the seat and tank off blind folded."

VMAXCBR900WR426 -- you may want to consider zanex for that attiude, brother. I posted what MY experiences have been with the KTM brand. If you dont like you can kiss my #@$ :cry: Is that what these fourms are for??? Sorry you WR experience has been bad, my KTM experience was bad as well so I posted what I have been through. I NEVER hinted that you did not maintain your rig. I too am very much a believer of doing it right the first time.
Keep that attitude in "cool guy Colorado" if you want to check it at the boarder on your way to Wyoming we would love to have you come up and ride with us.

• jwriott

Posted September 22, 2004 - 07:10 AM

Dude, I don't have any attitude issues. I just think the whole my brand bashing thing is ridiculous and doesn't help anyone looking for a new bike.

You completely missed my point which was that if these bikes are maintained, they are all reliable. If you don't keep up with what needs done on the bike you will have problems on 2-strokes or 4-strokes. 2-strokes have a lot less moving parts than 4-strokes and are very simple to work on. One of my friends has a 01' 300EXC that he puts a lot of miles on and he's never even done the rings or piston and it still runs awesome. He's had several of them and is getting an 05' this year.

I didn't have a bad experience and liked my WR426 a lot and I also like my buddies 01' 400EXC, 03' 450EXC, 04' 450EXC and 03' 525EXC. I haven't ridden a WR450 yet but I'm sure they are sweet as well. As far at the 300 goes, the bike is fantastic and IMO, everything the magazines raved about this year.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.