40 replies to this topic
  • Pete_Z

Posted June 26, 2001 - 09:21 PM

Mike,these guys are for real-they believe in what they build,and from what I have seen, back it 110%.

• mcarp

Posted June 26, 2001 - 09:27 PM

Mike, a few years back I tried a handheld CB radio (midland) with a remote Push-to-talk mic that clipped on the helmet strap. I wired it directly to the bike w/ a $10 radio shack noise suppressor. It worked great (no noise, good range) until I wiped out and swamped the unit in two feet of water. I used it for about 10 rides successfully before destroying it.

The added benefit of a CB is that you can use channel 19 or 9 to get help if you need it.
The unit was about $100 + $20 for the mic.
Also if it breaks, CB repair guys are everywhere.

The bad thing about voice activate (VOX) is high battery consumption. If you choose to use VOX, I would recommend a noise suppressor and wiring it off the front light green lead to elimiate batteries. I used a 12V cigarette lighter outlet for the lead so if I wiped out the cord would pull out and not rip any wiring out.

Good luck

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 09:49 PM

You spend Waaaay to much time tinkering around. I think you need help. :)

• Swedisheagle

Posted June 26, 2001 - 10:12 AM

I suggest you get an amateur radio license (HAM). The Technician class is simple to get with minimal electronics background and requires no knowledge of morse code. Try Radio Shack or online for books & info. A buddy & myself ride with Kenwood & Yeasu radios in the 2Meter band, with an ear speaker & boom mike under our helmets. We get about 4 miles range in the desert & works great at Lake Arrowhead. The radio is not voice activated so it is mounted on my shoulder so I can get to the transmitt button.

• mcarp

Posted June 26, 2001 - 10:14 AM

Hey, I'm an engineer, I love to tinker :)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 26, 2001 - 01:59 PM

My wife & I have the Chatterbox FRS versions. I have no problem activated the VOX - my wife's voice is to soft/quiet to activate it. I'd recommend a PTT button so you don't always hear the oh, **** comments :)

• *mike68*

Posted June 27, 2001 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I may look into the chatterbox a little more seriously.
Brian, Can these units be easily moved to another helmet so whoever I ride with can use one.

Posted June 27, 2001 - 03:41 AM

found 900mhz collett communicators for $179
gonna try them out soon

• WR_Jason

Posted June 27, 2001 - 04:19 AM

The Chatterbox rigs are a expensive, but were developed for cycle use. HJC helmets are actully cut out around the ear to fit the units with no mods. I have had good luck with maxon 49 MHZ radios, $39.99 if you catch a sale at the VOX is a tricky thing. I liked the older radios that let you adjust the VOX threshold levels, but all newer systems claim to do it automaticly. Here in lies the problem. I have found that the placement of the mic is critical. I like to burry it in the foam of the chin bar to keep it out of the wind. I ussaly give a good blow of air into the mic to open it so noting gets cut off, this is much easier than trying to fumble for a PTT switch, even if you make a remote mount for the bar. It seems the old 49 MHZ systems have been displaced by the FRS units so they may be hard to find though.

• njw

Posted June 27, 2001 - 05:04 AM

vincegatcore $179 ??, you can buy them direct from Collett for only $139.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BruceWA

Posted June 27, 2001 - 07:10 AM

Have a set of the Collett Communicators for my street bikes. They work well, but the batteries last only about 1 1/2 days. Range up to 2 miles on the straights, but who wants to ride on a straight? Am willing to sell them if anyone is interested.
AutoComm makes the very best one available, don't know if anyone has tried them a for an off road application.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 27, 2001 - 07:47 AM

The Chatterboxes aren't hard to switch between helmets provided you have installed the velcro for the mic & speakers in each helmet. The radio unit itself slids onto a 'clip' that is clamped to the left side of your helmet just behind your ear. There are two problems with the Chatterbox units. 1. They are susceptible to branches. 2. The PTT wiring sucks. It is straight wire and it really needs to be coiled stuff like a telephone handset/CB mic cord. E shredded the wiring on mine because I ran the PTT wire down to my waist (under my CP), looped it around my fanny pack belt to prevent it from blowing around and then to the PTT button mounted on the bars. First set up whoops I went to stand up and broke the wires in half - slight miscalculation on my part :)

• *mike68*

Posted June 27, 2001 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. Still unsure.
Gonna have to ponder this investment.

• YamaCazi

Posted June 28, 2001 - 10:34 AM

Mike I tried my Chatterbox last night....Not Bad, Engine noise a couple of times activated the mic....

Posted June 30, 2001 - 10:42 AM

Originally posted by YamaCazi:

Mike I tried my Chatterbox last night....Not Bad, Engine noise a couple of times activated the mic....

Posted June 30, 2001 - 10:43 AM

Originally posted by YamaCazi:

• Tim

Posted July 02, 2001 - 05:56 PM

A couple of buddies and me got some of those Motorola Talkabout 250's. They work much better in the dirt than they do the woods. The VOX systems are junk. Any engine noise, wind noise, or heavy breathing will set them off. The PTT systems are the best (push to talk). A little velcro on the helmet for the microphone and stick the ear bud in one ear and you are ready to go. I Zip tie the radio on the inside of my chest protector. One buddy got cheap and got some COBRA brand FRS model and it is noticably lower quality. The motorolas are about $70 and the PTT about $20. Cheap enough no to worry too much about it but yet good enough quality. They claim 2 mile range. No chance. Especially if you ride in any gullies or hills, you are looking at about a half mile range. Hope this helps.

• Cobra2go

Posted July 05, 2001 - 09:32 PM

My wife and I have the Chatterbox's and they work great. To good in fact. I would sell them if you are interested. We have decided that sometimes silence is golden!

• scottannand

Posted July 05, 2001 - 10:50 AM

What model do you have? I might be interested in them.How much are you asking for them?

[This message has been edited by scott annand (edited 07-05-2001).]

• Cobra2go

Posted July 09, 2001 - 10:23 AM

I will check the model # and get back to you. If you want to look they are the models with the ability to plug a walkman/cd player in and were purchased new in May 01

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.