40 replies to this topic
  • *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 04:44 AM

Anybody run communicators that actually work WELL? I want voice activated if possible.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 26, 2001 - 05:04 AM

I can tell you what DOESN'T work. I tried to use a couple of Midland FRS radios with helmet speakers and mics. They worked great until the motor was running, then the interference was so great that all I could hear was static. I have heard of a device that you install in the spark plug cap that cuts out spark plug-induced noise but I don't know if they work.

I think having commo between riders would be a great idea. I think my riding buddies think I'm a geek for trying it, but wouldn't it be nice, for example, to be able to tell the rider up front (or behind) that a turn is coming up or that you need to stop for something?

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 05:17 AM

I ride with the same person alot, it would be nice to the laughter.

• z4me

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:14 AM

I have the Motorola FRS radios that have the VOX headsets. I bent them up nicely so that they clip onto the helmet. They worked to some extent but the delay for the transmit with the VOX drove us crazy. We were usually finished with what we were saying before the thing started transmitting. So we would start talking like "Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo - hey we missed the turn"

You can try out mine if you want - I want to hook up with you for a ride one of these nights anyway. I got the FMF 4Q too - so I won't rouse your neighbors either :)

- Sean

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:27 AM

How quiet is the Q?

• z4me

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:28 AM

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about the "chatterbox" - but they are a little pricey.

- Sean

• z4me

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:29 AM

Somewhere between the corked and uncorked.
The difference is very noticable in the upper RPMs. I would say it is about as noisy as your average 2-strk now.

- Sean

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:30 AM

Quality is the issue, not the price. Want, need, gotsta have. Chatterbox eh? I will look into it.

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:31 AM

How much weight savings??

• z4me

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:35 AM

It saved between 1 and 2 lbs according to my trusty bathroom scale. It is about 6 inches longer and requires me to lift my leg just a little higher when saddling up. I'll keep it though - I like it more quiet. A few of my riding buddies like 'em loud - the rest were very happy with the change :)

- Sean

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:03 AM

Did you go back to wr timing as well??

• z4me

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:20 AM

If I get the time this week I will. Wheelspin with the YZ timing and the grey wire cut has become a problem - especially when someone slows down in front of me on a big hill. However if I have the traction, lofting the front wheel over obsticles is a breeze. It is a much different bike since you rode it.

- Sean

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:26 AM

Cool, We'll have to hook up some night I'm not wakeboarding..

• cueball

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:48 AM

Hey Mike, check out this site

I've been waffling on these for quite awhile. I hear that the 900mhz units are top notch, but haven't had the opportunity to try them myself.

Much more interesting now with the price decrease!!!

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 08:14 AM

I just sent them an e-mail asking if and how their systems will work on a WR426 if others don't. I'll let you know when I get a response. Thanks for the tip.

• sirhk

Posted June 26, 2001 - 08:35 AM

My parents ride double on a Harley and I got them one of those Chatterboxes for Xmas last year. Granted this isn't the one you guys would be using but here's my input. The one I got them only has one box that clips to a belt and the 2 head units plug into that one box. (Again, they're on the same bike) They wear open face helmets and the Harley is pretty loud so I had to get them a head piece that has the front face of the mic covered to keep the wind from activating it since they are the voice activated one. Occasionally the bike itself will activate the mic according to my father but they are happy with it. (EXcept for when my father doesn't want to hear my mother blabbing!) I know there unit is different then the ones you guys would be getting but they seem to work pretty good so maybe the qualities will carry over to the cordless setups too.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Pete_Z

Posted June 26, 2001 - 08:37 AM

Mike,I've sold quite few different communicators over the years as they are a very popular snowmobile accessory.Usually they don't live up to the customer's expectations 100%,I don't think a perfect set up exists in the regular retail market. That being said,the Collett Communicators seem to be the best ones out there.They basically originated the helmet to helmet communicator,and have been in business and improving the products for quite a few years.The units are durable,specifically designed for motorsports use and I can tell you from experience that the after-sale service from this company is excellent.The best part is they are made with pride in Canada.You can contact Collett at 1-800-665-7888 and order directly from them with any major credit card.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 26, 2001 - 08:48 AM

If the Collett units work as advertised, it looks like they would be perfect. Now I just need to get some friends...

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 09:06 PM

Rich, too bad they cant reach 2500 miles. For a small fee I would let you talk to me :)

PeteZ thanks for the info, still undecided. Doesn't quite sound like it will live up to my expectations. What do the pro's use to talk to their riders from trackside??

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 09:09 PM

here is something I just cot back from collet communications.

response below

I will personally gaurantee you that our system will work, voice activated, on your bike and it will not transmit any engine noise to your riding buddies or be tripped by your engine noise.
Les Collett

origonal e-mail Mike Morin wrote:

Hello, I was wondering how well your system works on the Yamaha WR426. These bikes get lous and all the systems I have tried in the past pick up the engine noise on the Voice activated speaker. They did not work well. How can I be sure before I buy a set?

Next | Inbox - Choose Folder -[New Folder]
as attachmentinline text Download Attachments

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.