Tall Bars or Not

19 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted September 16, 2004 - 04:49 AM

I was just wondering what bars you tall riders are running? I am 6'3". I am thinking about some really tall bars so that I am not so hunched over while standing. Give me some info guys, is there anyone who tried this? :thumbsup: :devil:

• John_Lorenz

Posted September 16, 2004 - 06:15 AM

I am 6'2" in the morning

I was using the Pro-Taper CR-Low bends,and just went to the High Bends, it raised them enough for me to be very comfortable now. I know some are using the Jimmy buttons, I did not like the sweep on them so I opted for the High.

One other thing you can do as a tall rider is the Peg mod if you have not done this. It puts the peg about 3/4 down and 3/4 in back For me it made my foot fit better for my style and did not feel so cramped

• SureBlue

Posted September 16, 2004 - 06:47 AM

I am 185 cm and prefer high and straight bars to keep the elbows up. I have Magura sx fatbar with clamps mounted on stock upperclamp, they rise the bar a bit. I think Protaper Doug Henry -bend is straight and high, someone had them here, sjwr450? Anyone with experiences, I was thinking of getting them.

• Aaron

Posted September 16, 2004 - 06:57 AM

I have buttons on both of my bikes and am happy with them. the pastrana bend looks interesting too. i just dont want any pastrana stuff on my bike cause ill be jinxed.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:28 AM

Doug Henry bend Pro Tapers with universal adapters and an 02 top triple on my bike. Oh yeah, 6'2".

• SureBlue

Posted September 16, 2004 - 10:01 AM

Cowboy, you would not have a rider's wiev photo of your Doug Henry -bar to see the bend, would you? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

• mopos

Posted September 16, 2004 - 11:03 AM

What about those bar clamps that raise the hight of where the bars clamp? Are they weak? Instead of replacing the upper triple.
Also, do they make them so you can fit fatter bars?
Has anyone found bars that fit the stock upper triple and raise the height enough?? A lean 6 foot 6 inches, without the helmet!
Thanks!

• ncmountainman

Posted September 16, 2004 - 01:26 PM

thumper racing makes bar extenders up and forward 1" or one that does 1.5" they make them for stock or large bars. i have used the 1+1 and they worked great i'm 6'4" the quality was excellent but they were not cheap $80 :thumbsup:

• Gizabious

Posted September 16, 2004 - 03:09 PM

6'3 tag sx bend bars with tag bolt on clamps which raise the bars another 15mm. Never once had a problem with the clamps, and a much cheaper alternative to a new top triple clamp.

• Satch0922

Posted September 16, 2004 - 05:39 PM

6'1" and I love the Windham bend ProTapers...using an Applied top clamp...no risers.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chipstien

Posted September 16, 2004 - 05:41 PM

What about those bar clamps that raise the hight of where the bars clamp? Are they weak? Instead of replacing the upper triple.
Also, do they make them so you can fit fatter bars?
Has anyone found bars that fit the stock upper triple and raise the height enough?? A lean 6 foot 6 inches, without the helmet!
Thanks!

Here you go! :thumbsup:

http://www.protaper....armountkit.html

• cowboyona426

Posted September 17, 2004 - 10:10 AM

Cowboy, you would not have a rider's wiev photo of your Doug Henry -bar to see the bend, would you? Thanks in advance. :cry:

I have one at ATM, but you have to be a member there to view it. I'll try and snap one tonight and post it :cry:

• thelimey1

Posted September 17, 2004 - 09:37 PM

im 6'3" i bought the pro taper triple clamp, and used the 55mm high risers that you can order seperately. 55mm makes a big diff. i also use tall bars in conjunction. real comfy.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 18, 2004 - 09:01 AM

Here's a link to a new album I created, hope this is what you were after.

Bar pics

• Anssi

Posted September 18, 2004 - 11:56 PM

I run KTM bend Fatbars with the universal mounts on my -03. The KTM bend is very straight in addition to being reasonably tall, this helps if you also have wide shoulders (since your arms will come in "from the outside").

I'm 6'4".

• SureBlue

Posted September 19, 2004 - 05:52 AM

Thank you Cowboy, buy you a beer! :cry:

• Chipstien

Posted September 19, 2004 - 11:14 AM

Hey Cowboy, I see you are running the Rally Pro's. I was going to do the same setup as you untill I realized I would have to buy the oversized mounts for my Rally Pro's AND figure out how to remount my Trail-Tech computer. I have since put the Fat Bars on hold. :cry:

• cowboyona426

Posted September 19, 2004 - 11:34 AM

IMO, don't buy the Rally Pro's. They look nice, but they bend way to easy. Plus, as you mentioned, the setup is EXPENSIVE!

Handguards- $65
Fat bar mounts- $30
Triple clamp mounts- $50 (usually $100 or so)
Total- ~$150-$200!!!

Cycra Pro Bend racer pack with triple clamp mount- $120!

Next time, I'll go with the Cycra setup. You NEED the triple clamp mounts on the Rally Pros unless you want them to bend after every crash. Plus, with the Cycra setup, you don't need to cut your clutch lever.

• Chipstien

Posted September 19, 2004 - 12:04 PM

$85 for my Rally Pro's complete with everything needed. However I did not get the TC mount. I personally haven't had any problems but then I rarely opt to "kiss the ground" so I have never bent them. They are there strictly to keep trees from having that uncontrollable urge of planting themselves in the middle of the trail right after a corner. :cry:

• cowboyona426

Posted September 19, 2004 - 01:37 PM

You realized you just jinxed yourself, don't you? :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.