05 450

28 replies to this topic
  • Ranger_426F

Posted September 17, 2004 - 07:22 AM

It just seems like in every post of the 05 your trashing it. Everyone else has great things to say about it. Maybe a CRF would suit you.

Ride report:D:D Come on give us the skinny

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 17, 2004 - 08:07 AM

It just seems like in every post of the 05 your trashing it. Everyone else has great things to say about it. Maybe a CRF would suit you.

Actually a quicker yz450f would suit me just fine. So far as best I can tell only 2 or 3 others have thrown a leg over a 05, so the opinion base isnt all that deep on here.

Dont mistake my descriptions and frustration for trashing. You spend 6000 bucks on a bike that gets spanked by a yz250f, and then we'll see if you arent a bit frustrated. By the way, the 04 450 at the shop is quicker. The opinion at the shop is that it's not a defect but intentional by the factory. The opinion is from riding it, not from a tear down.

I just got a 13 tooth front sprocket, and have a pipe and new CDI unit on order. It aint like I'm not trying. Could be the airbox may need swapped to an 04 as well if that isnt enough. But I will be doing it a piece at a time so I can find the biggest contributor.

• mmbasa

Posted September 17, 2004 - 09:57 AM

Sounds to me like you may have unwittingly purchased an 04 WR450, hence the deliberate act by the manufacter to detune your bike. If you do a search you will see that you can do some mods that may bring the bike up to spec. Try looking for the throttle stop, airbox and uncorking mods. These should help you. After you have done the search and completed all mods you may then return with any further questions.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 17, 2004 - 10:28 AM

It's a yz450f allright.

Thanks for the offer. I already know how to make a 4 stroke yamaha faster.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • undrdog

Posted September 17, 2004 - 02:49 PM

Yes, My bike is all stock! I"m sorry to hear your disapointed in the bike. The only thing I might consider changing would be the rear sprocket to suit my needs on the peticular track I ride. I dont know what sea level your at , but it might be something as simple as jetting, or checking your (AP) squirt to make sure everythings ok. It sounds like your trying to figure it out, and not giving up completely! Good luck, I know it must be frustrating when your expectations were so high with your new ride!

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 17, 2004 - 03:39 PM

Thats cool, I know it's got to be me.

After all the hype the past 2 years of arms getting pulled out their sockets and the hit just being totally unrideable, hopping on it was like hopping on a big pair of falsies. It broke my heart. :cry:

Anyhow I'm over the pissin and moaning and have started the the quest to make it a 450 beast. I swapped the front sprocket to a 13 tooth, and the airfilter and cage to one without the screen. Maybe I'll get lucky and the CDI will show up tommorrow too. Sometime next week the pipe will show up as well. I am fully expecting the CDI to make the big difference, so I do have hope for it. then it will be time for porting and higher compression. :cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted September 17, 2004 - 05:10 PM

Thats cool, I know it's got to be me.

After all the hype the past 2 years of arms getting pulled out their sockets and the hit just being totally unrideable, hopping on it was like hopping on a big pair of falsies. It broke my heart. :cry:

I dunno...

I consider a big pair of falsies to be what you're trying to make your bike into.

It came from god ( the factory) one way and it's a thing of beauty. You're spending money adding stuff here, nipping here, tucking there, changing this and that... What you'll end up with will still be a yz450, but just "better". Still fun to play with, but night and day from the boring, flat-chested thing you started with.

Falsies are just more of a good thing. :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 17, 2004 - 06:19 PM

we can rebuild. We have the technology. It's the 6 million dollar 450.

I may just have to find a pair somewhere and glue them to the number plate.

:cry:

• motoscotty

Posted September 17, 2004 - 07:35 PM

my 05 RIPS there is no other way to describe it stops, starts and turns like it is on some magnetic rail or something all I did was turn the fuel screw in about a 1/4 due to the heat at club moto that day somthing must be wrong ,I have a 04 250f with a Tom Morgan motor and there is still no comp. in power anywhere on the spectrum so my advice is DONT GIVE UP THE POWER IS THERE just gonna take some tweeking
good luck SCOTT

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.