Rear brake scare

4 replies to this topic
  • needsprayer

Posted September 15, 2004 - 05:00 PM

I was chasing after a friend on my track around the house (4 acres prime desert, 0.3 mile loop). I went into a turn looking to use both brakes and had zero back brake. I was distracted by this and looked for it twice. Should've just adjusted quicker with more front brake and kept to my line. Instead I went a little wide and came to a stop with my nose in a mesquite bush. No harm done.

The problem arose because my plastic disk guard had warped a little and was rubbing against the disk. Couldn't hear it rubbing. It melted and got into the caliper resulting in zero rear brake. The plastic guard had worn out from the AZ climate and was very brittle. That is why it warped. I took it off (fell apart in my hand actually), sprayed brake cleaner on the disk and caliper, check for engagement and rode, burning off any residue.

So if anyone has a used plastic rear disk guard they don't want I will pay for shipping. :thumbsup:

• honkylips

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:55 PM

Funny, I just had the same thing happen to me. My rear brakes have been crap since I bought the bike and I finally realized it was because of all the plastic melting off the guard that was rubbing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted September 17, 2004 - 06:26 AM

I may have caused this problem when I was doing my torture training. On Labor Day I pushed the BRP around my perimeter track 11 times. Each lap I laid the bike down, picked it up, pushed it 0.28 mile then changed sides and did it again for a total of 3 miles.

I've been slacking a little lately and haven't washed the dust off the bike for the last two rides, otherwise I might have seen this happening sooner.

For now I am not running a guard, don't even have any extra $$ to buy one right now because of a vacation trip coming up.
:cry:

Thanks for the reply and sharing your similiar experience. It pays to look over the bike thoroughly between rides.

What are you replacing the plastic guard with?

• BrianVT

Posted September 17, 2004 - 04:19 PM

So if anyone has a used plastic rear disk guard they don't want... :cry:

I've got my stock one in my hand. It's a little cracked but would hold you over 'til Santa brings you front and rear Devol aluminum guards for X-mas.
PM your mailing address to me and I'll send it out Monday.
Do you still need a sprayer ? :cry:

• needsprayer

Posted September 17, 2004 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Brian, I will send you a PM.

I feel kinda naked without a disk guard.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.