fuel usage on 650R

11 replies to this topic
  • gav_114

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:04 PM

Hi, i bought a 650R about a month ago and im having probs with fuel well this is what happens i ride around trails and single stuff and at around the 60km (37miles) and then the bike starts back firing and loosing power so i turn it to reserve and everything is fine?? what is happeneing and is this the right fuel consumption? weird thing is reserve lasts forever i rode 20km(12mile) home, had a look in the tnak and still had a good quarter of a tank of fuel left? whats going on guys any tips would be appreciated its a 2004 model

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:13 PM

I assume this is the stock tank. In slow riding you can expect considerably lower mileage than on open desert type situations. I would say you should get about 55 miles out of a stock tank in slow riding. It varies somewhat from bike to bike. It does sound like something else is wrong if you still had a 1/4 of a tank. Maybe a little water in the fuel caused it to act up. That does happen. Pour some heet in there if it happens again. If it goes away you got moisture in the fuel.

• big t

Posted September 15, 2004 - 08:13 PM

That's all I get from a tank while riding mx track. I think I could probably do 45-50 on trails if I stayed out of the throttle but what fun would that be. :thumbsup: Some of the gas gets trapped on the left side of the tank until you lean the over to the right.

• nickn

Posted September 16, 2004 - 03:43 AM

Hey Gav,
Properly getted you should 80-100ks before hitting reserve. Reserve will get you up to 20ks. Standard Jetting is too lean and as a result you will use more fuel. I have a Quicksilver on mine, the best mod by far.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted September 16, 2004 - 11:08 AM

It really depends on what and how you are riding. I have hit reserve as soon as 36 miles on muddy, sloppy single track. I have gone as far as 68 miles on easy single track, woods roads and dual sporting.

• gav_114

Posted September 16, 2004 - 03:40 PM

yeah well it did do this in the local sunny corner rally here and it was muddy and a fair bit of single stuff so maybe that was it i will try it again and check the jetting is right
hey nick whats a quicksilver???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted September 16, 2004 - 07:55 PM

yeah well it did do this in the local sunny corner rally here and it was muddy and a fair bit of single stuff so maybe that was it i will try it again and check the jetting is right
hey nick whats a quicksilver???

It's a pumper carb made by Edelbrock for the XR650R. :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted September 16, 2004 - 08:21 PM

Is the bike completely uncorked? Jetting close to 175 main, 68s or 70s pilot and br53e needle? Smog garb removed, air box opened up, intake derestricted, exhaust opened up?

• nickn

Posted September 16, 2004 - 11:46 PM

Hey Gav,
How did you go at Sunny Corner? Where do you normally ride?

• gav_114

Posted September 19, 2004 - 04:57 PM

yeah sunny corner was awesome besides the snow and cold of course lol, sunny corner is where i normally ride it is my backyard basicall as i live in bathurst so 20 mins and im there what bout you anything close to sydney?

• nickn

Posted September 20, 2004 - 12:33 AM

You lucky bugger. I am based in southern Sydney mainly ride Wattagans. Menai 10mins away which is only good when I am desparate.

• gav_114

Posted September 20, 2004 - 04:20 PM

oh ok how is whatagan? you going in the rally there in november? me and a mate is thinking of going

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.