o-ring or not?

3 replies to this topic
  • *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 04:05 AM

Does everone run o-ring chains? Any advantages to running a non 0-ring chain? I prefer low maintenance items. Anyone from Bills can tell ya that.

------------------
01 426 "sewing machine"
Custom cracked headlight:
Custom bent and twisted header pipe:Custom repaired break lever:custom repaired clutch lever: Custom dented moose skid plate: Custom dented frame: Custom scuffed side number plates: Custom scuffed front and rear fenders: Custom stock jetting: Custom vortip: Custom stickers

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 26, 2001 - 05:08 AM

I think that for maintenance reasons, an o-ring chain is the only option. Otherwise, you'd be replacing chains and sprockets way more than you'd want to. The only advantage to a standard chain would be reduced rolling resistance, so you'd have a little more power at the rear wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:11 AM

Yeah, get the o-ring chain. Internal rust is what will kill the chain, o-rings prevent or at least minimize contamination. The extra power you'll lose is minimal.

The DID x-ring (VMX) is a great chain. A little expensive, but they last about 50% longer than a comparable Regina or RK and stretch very little. I've had the same chain for abour 600 miles, 2 adjustments required and one was after a long extremely muddy ride.

• *mike68*

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:05 AM

It looks like next year I will be running stainless o-ring chain and sprockets.

Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.