100 mile maintanence

3 replies to this topic
  • bakeray

Posted September 15, 2004 - 10:33 AM

Just throwing this out there to see what everybody else thinks.

When I bought my 650R the dealer said I had to bring it back after 3 tanks of fuel or 100 miles or so so they could do thier checks on it. I found out they want 180 bucks to do this little required check. They say the check includes a valve adjustment, clutch adjustment check the water pump and all cooling related parts and the brakes. They say I have to do it to keep the warranty good.

Here is my question, After 100 miles is anything going to be that far out of adjustment? Guys I go riding with said to wait until about 250 miles unless Im having problems with somthing.

• needsprayer

Posted September 15, 2004 - 10:46 AM

Changing the oil and cleaning the downtube screen is important. Lots of flakes will be in the oil. Not a bad idea to check valve clearance. You can hear loose valves but tight ones require inspection.

The rest of that stuff they cited is not necessary.

Warranty is not voided if you do the maintenance yourself and keep a record/log book.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted September 15, 2004 - 11:04 AM

The owners manual spells out the service requirements, which you can carry out yourself if you know how to. I'd also highly recommend buying the factory service manual from Honda or www.helminco.com which gives good details on all the service & maintenance procedures. I have several of these bikes and they definitely did not go out of adjustment after 100 miles. Cleaning the downtube screen is a very good idea for the first two oil changes.

• BWB63

Posted September 15, 2004 - 02:59 PM

They are deffenetly yanking your chai on telling you you have to have them do the service. I have a four year extended service and Barnums just did the warrenty tranny fix. I do all my own service. Never had a dealer do it. I would give them what for for trying to snake you.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.