questions re: clutch

11 replies to this topic
  • GetSumBaby

Posted September 15, 2004 - 08:38 AM

first, When I change my oil I have alot of metal on my filter. I was told this is from a couple of different things. It could be clutch, or it could be my shift forks? I do not always use my clutch when shifting - and I do not jam it into gear.

Second, my clutch is slipping at high mph. When racing down fire roads the clutch slips pretty bad. What do I need to replace? Just the plates?

Thanks,
Ed

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 15, 2004 - 09:23 AM

what sort of oil are you using?

• Hamish

Posted September 16, 2004 - 02:55 AM

change the plates and the springs.
The steels are probably burnt. You can bead blast them and use them again if they arent warped. Use a sheet of glass and a feeler guage to check this. I doubt the metal is from the shift forks. They are hard as hell and dont wear. If the metal you are refering to is ally, it's probably clutch basket. Check basket to gear play. I always say if there is no metal in you 4XX filter you oil pump probably isnt working.

• John_Lorenz

Posted September 16, 2004 - 06:02 AM

Side note to Hamish

Get a Magnetic drain plug as well, if you have steel it will settle onto that instead of flow through the engine.

As far as shavings goes

Who Much shavings?

I have some particles in my filter every time I change the filter, this is normal wear and tear. This is a somewhat good indication your filter is catching all the stuff.

Now if it is full of particles then it is another issue

• GetSumBaby

Posted September 16, 2004 - 08:31 AM

Check basket to gear play.

How is this done?

Thanks,
Ed

• Hamish

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:12 PM

1) remove the clutch cover (easier to see if you reover the inner clutch cover too)
2) rotate the clutch basket back and forwards. If you cant rotate the basket at all without the gear (the big one thats attatched to the back of the basket)turning, thats good. A little bit of play here (1mm ?) is 'normal wear and tear'

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GetSumBaby

Posted September 17, 2004 - 06:17 AM

ok - the oil I hae been using was Valvoline 4 stroke oil. A case was given to me. Maybe I shouldnt use it anymore?

How much shavings? Enough for me to have to question it - my buddy had none. But he is not an aggressive rider!

Thanks for all the help.
Ed

• Dano426

Posted September 17, 2004 - 11:28 AM

ok - the oil I hae been using was Valvoline 4 stroke oil. A case was given to me. Maybe I shouldnt use it anymore?

How much shavings? Enough for me to have to question it - my buddy had none. But he is not an aggressive rider!

Thanks for all the help.
Ed

Don't worry about the oil. I have been using Valvoline 4 stroke oil for the past year after installing my z-Start autoclutch on my YZ426. One of the techs at Rekluse recommended it and it has been working great for me. Much better than the Yamalube 4 20W-40 ever did.

Cluthes ware out, its just time to replace your clutch plates.

• skthom2320

Posted September 17, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Are you sure it's the clutch? Racing down fire roads at high MPH makes me think you are in 4th gear which is a common gear for the 426 to lose.

If it is "surging" like the clutch is slipping but only does it in one gear, suspect problems with the gearbox.

Don't worry about the shavings in general. I've had them since new in my 426. The oil you are using is fine.

• GetSumBaby

Posted September 17, 2004 - 04:04 PM

If it is "surging" like the clutch is slipping but only does it in one gear, suspect problems with the gearbox.

Ok - I put the clutch back together. First off - its hard as hell to pull in. Second - It only slips in 4th gear. Could the metal im getting be shavings from 4th gear?

Ed

• skthom2320

Posted September 17, 2004 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like 4th gear needs replacement. Do a search using the term "4th gear"

• skthom2320

Posted September 17, 2004 - 08:38 PM

Here's the thread I was thinking about...

http://www.thumperta...true#Post983020

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.