adjusting valves???

7 replies to this topic
  • Brian_G

Posted December 08, 2001 - 06:44 AM

on the xr80 i have the top off and i dont know exactly how to adjust them. also finding tdc is that where it is hardest to push the kick starter down? how do i adjust the valves?

• Paul_Thistle

Posted December 08, 2001 - 02:36 PM

Watch the cam while turning over the engine. It would be a good idea to take off the flywheel cover so you can see the tdc mark and turn the engine with the flywheel. When both cam lobes are turned down and the "T" mark on the flywheel lines up to the mark on the case. Adjust the intake to 0.002" and the exaust to 0.003" by putting a feeler gauge between the top of the valve and the the adjusters on the rocker arms. The feeler gauge should have a slight amount of drag when the clearance is correct. PT

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Thistle ]

• Brian_G

Posted December 08, 2001 - 04:09 PM

thanks

• Brian_G

Posted December 08, 2001 - 06:04 PM

i did the valves WOW!! they were easy. and what it did is started 1st kick after being off for a month but if i held the throttle wide open too long it broke up and would shoot a big puff of black(kinda black) smoke out(its been doing this for a while and i cant figure it out) it also surges while at idle then drops back down and wants to stall. i think their is an airleak. has any one had this happen to them or something simlar? also i think the jetting is off bec if im in gear going along and i quick put it to wot it bogs. the stock main is a 95 i think but when i checked its # their was not one on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_G

Posted December 08, 2001 - 06:08 PM

i did the valves WOW!! they were easy. and what it did is started 1st kick after being off for a month but if i held the throttle wide open too long it broke up and would shoot a big puff of black(kinda black) smoke out(its been doing this for a while and i cant figure it out) it also surges while at idle then drops back down and wants to stall. i think their is an airleak. has any one had this happen to them or something simlar? also i think the jetting is off bec if im in gear going along and i quick put it to wot it bogs. the stock main is a 95 i think but when i checked its # their was not one on it. would that be the stock one?

• Paul_Thistle

Posted December 08, 2001 - 08:43 PM

on high milage 80's the jet needle wears causing erratic idle and o to 1/4 throttle sucks.PT

What year model?

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Thistle ]

• Brian_G

Posted December 09, 2001 - 08:04 AM

1986 xr80rg(the big one)

• Brian_G

Posted December 12, 2001 - 12:43 PM

what is the stock jet #'s for an xr80? i think the stock main is a 95 but what is the pilot? also hows many times will i need to adjust them until the stay the way they should? is it ok to use a champion plug insted of an NGK?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.