Throw it away or ride it out?

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_blatham489_*

Posted September 14, 2004 - 07:14 PM

This is a technique question: In a baaad sitcheeayshunn, what do most of you do: try and ride it out, or throw it away and hit the dirt?

My race car training has it ingrained in my brain to "drive off under control rather than spin off out of control" (vehicles tend to flip - that's bad) But twice now I have been poorly served by this thinking. MX tracks apparently don't spend much time grooming the surrounding real estate and I am still sore (only, luckily ) from my latest such event. Next time I plan to slide 'er down and let my brand new (well, not so new anymore) vented pants take the abuse :thumbsup:.

Any opinions?

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 15, 2004 - 02:50 AM

Depends 100% on the situation. If I'm falling off the back heading into a long strait away then I'm going to try to ride it out. If' I'm falling off the back aproaching the takeoff to a double or triple then if there's time I'm getting off ASAP. Depends on the situation and it's up to you to make the judgement call as to what would save you the most body parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXKyle

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:41 AM

I always try to ride it out. More than one time I was very surprised to find myself still on two wheels after I would have thrown it away.

• indiandunes

Posted September 15, 2004 - 05:34 PM

Hey I always try to ride it out, but you can still break your ankles. Once I came off a blind step down only to find someone crashing below me. It was either throw the bike away from him or land hard on him with the bike. I threw the bike to the side away from him which sent me head first into his body like a football tackle. Our bikes hit so hard that I broke his handle bars clean off and broke my footpeg. I glad I threw it. He would have been in the hospital if I hung on.

• Fastest1

Posted September 15, 2004 - 05:40 PM

I broke a femur trying to "ride it out" once! Laying it down would have been relatively painless by comparison. I detached (ruptured) my achilles tendon earlier this year "riding it out", I knew the minute I took off that my trajectory was wrong, should I have jumped? :thumbsup: It would have been much worse! A couple of questions for you. Why are you going on off track excursions? Just like in racing cars or anything else, dont consider any options past the edge of the track! It usually always causes problems. The bike would have probably made the corner if you dont choke. Only look where you want to go and never anywhere else. Good Luck

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.