6 replies to this topic
  • BlueRider400F

Posted September 14, 2004 - 06:40 PM

My 98 WR400F was running like a charm until it POURED while trailoring it to a track...water in filter...fouled plug. ever since i have had nothing but problems...i drained the carb and put new gas in it...still not corrected. i get a lot of popping while starting it and when i let off the gas. it wont idle either, it just quits. any ideas at all will be much appreciated as we are leaving north tommarow on a ride. thank you.

• Shuffler

Posted September 14, 2004 - 07:52 PM

sounds like water in the fuel/intake system...maybe you need to run it for a while so that stuff gets pushed through, and check your plug for fouling as well...? :thumbsup: As if I know anything...

• Shuffler

Posted September 14, 2004 - 07:55 PM

another thought: after working on the carb, did you make sure it's venting properly? My KTM exhibited those very same symptoms until I figured out I'd pinched a carb vent tube after I'd removed all the emissions & secondary air system crap they had on there. Removed the kink and she ran like a champ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted September 15, 2004 - 01:20 AM

It almost sounds like a lean pilot circuit now. Maybe the water washed some dirt out of the airbox into the carb and it clogged some jets or something. I know its unlikely, but it could happen.

Clean and blow out all of the jets. Make sure your fuel screw is adjusted properly.

Also make sure you tightened the boots on the carb if you took them loose. Heck, check them to make sure they're tight even if you didn't take them loose. That's a sure-fire way to make the bike really lean.

• 5valve

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:36 AM

...also clean the hot start assy and all the small black tubes including the small membrane, everything on the left carb side and of course make sure that you re not riding with the hot start button pulled out

• KevB

Posted September 15, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Make sur ethat you also give the Accelerator pump a very good clean... chances are that that is filled up with mud too... I had the same thing ahppen to me once, blew all the jets and pipe with the air hose, but was only better after servicing the Acc. Pump.

Now I run with the top part of the Acc Pump diaphragm filled with grease...

• V968231

Posted September 15, 2004 - 11:13 AM

My bike had similar symptoms due to the slide plate being cracked. Are the revs hanging high at all? I would suggest that you pull the slide plate and check it for cracks. See the following thread:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.