Jumbo Fuel Tank

4 replies to this topic
  • gavin500

Posted November 29, 2001 - 06:31 PM

I heard there is a 25Litre fuel tank out now for the XR650, yet don't know who makes it.

How big is that in gallons? Well above 5!

Does anyone know who make's this?

• andym528

Posted December 07, 2001 - 09:58 AM

If you are talking about the 650R, Acerbis makes what you are looking for. The Sahara tank is 6gal that mounts like a regular gas tank. They also have the Sahara underseat tank that adds another 3.7gal. Click HERE for more details.

If your talking about the 650L they also show a 5gal on the same page

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Manos

Posted December 10, 2001 - 10:27 PM

I have an XR650L with the Acerbis 5 gal tank. I wouldn't recommend buying one though. They don't fit perfectly, their frame mounts wear out very fast, the tank wobbles about and they are ba$#@rds to clean and keep clean.

A friend of mine has mounted an IMS tank on his XR400R and it looks a lot better/slimmer and hasn't failed as yet. He doesn't push his bike as much as I do, though.

Manos
PS. All in all, are you sure you want one? If you fill it up with gas, the COG and total weight will rise significantly, so much so that you will be riding a VERY different bike.

• M.Stone

Posted December 17, 2001 - 10:49 PM

I have the IMS "7 gal" tank on my XR650R that I rode to Panama and back (240 hours riding time). It fits perfect and mounts solidly, and it protects the radiators. I don't think it takes quite 7 gals, but I put on as much as 290 miles without running on reserve. The XRR gave me an impressive 50-60 mpg (two tanks at exactly 60 mpg).

The tank is wide at the knees, so if you are a stand-up rider, you will not like the width. Also, use a good sealant for the screw-in fittings. Keep an eye on the plastic radiator collars. If they melt, it can lead to damaged radiators.

• shadow

Posted December 18, 2001 - 01:34 PM

Originally posted by gavin500:
I heard there is a 25Litre fuel tank out now for the XR650, yet don't know who makes it.

How big is that in gallons? Well above 5!

Does anyone know who make's this?

I think that Acerbis makes that as a standard desert large-capacity tank - - - don't know for sure -

stop by www.usamoto.com and see if they have one - if not I'm sure they could get it -

Good luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.