new 2003 YZ450 clutch dragging badly

8 replies to this topic
  • whipit1k

Posted September 14, 2004 - 01:14 PM

The clutch on my brand new 2003 YZ450 squeals and grabs when released as if the plates were totally dry or something is wrong. anyone seen this? what can I do to make it right? this is BS , to have a new bike behaving like a junkyard rat

• Doug_Caldwell

Posted September 14, 2004 - 03:26 PM

Do some searches on the subject. You are not alone. The best fix is to get the inner most '02 426 plates. There are three pieces total, or you could get the GYTR clutch kit.

• whipit1k

Posted September 14, 2004 - 04:56 PM

why oh why didn't i just buy another CRF450?? .....what the heck was I thinking? I am off to a rocky start with this thing. I have a WR400F that takes a thrashing and i LOVE but this 450 ?? i am hopeing i can smooth this out, then get the damn thing to stop popping and stalling and then maybe....just get another CRF

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2004 - 08:02 PM

Whip,

the mod for the 03 is from Yamaha for grabby/noisy clutch engagement -
You must purchase and switch to:
5JG-16321-00-00 Friction plate
5JG-16383-00-00 Clutch Boss Spring
5JG-16384-00-00 Seat plate
All of these are 02 YZF426 clutch parts
Also make the inner hub oil holes larger to 4mm this per DRD. It helps.

A Hinson or GYT-R pressure plate (both Hinson parts) helps a lot too. Of course, a full Hinson is the ultimate answer, but you'll be 90% better with this fix.

BTW, you didn't buy another CRF because as good as they are, they ain't YZFs. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MxHuggy

Posted September 14, 2004 - 08:28 PM

Of course the Ultra Cheap fix here is to just take out all of the plates and spin them around. I did that over a year ago and have never had a problem.

• whipit1k

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:11 AM

I flipped my steel plates around last night and will try it today. the friction plates looked very dry, but there was no evidence of damage or overheating (since i had to DNF my first ride with a mechanical-damn Yamaha)
So i will try it today and then maybne order parts for my brand new bike. Not what I wanted to do
I hate to say it but I can seee why there are YZ450's leftover at dealers dirt cheap if this is a normal YZ experience
I did manage to sneak in a late day WR400 ride after my 450 retired to the garage 5 min into the ride though

• Ga426owner

Posted September 15, 2004 - 07:17 AM

why oh why didn't i just buy another CRF450?? .....what the heck was I thinking? I am off to a rocky start with this thing. I have a WR400F that takes a thrashing and i LOVE but this 450 ?? i am hopeing i can smooth this out, then get the damn thing to stop popping and stalling and then maybe....just get another CRF

Buddy, you are letting your emotions get the best of you - I guess you did not buy another CRF because of the widely known accepted valve issues ....do the clutch fix as all, or most of us have, and you will be happy - This is a known problem on the 03's. Hinson's total replacement is the best fix but expensive - I also found that Mobil 1 Red cap 15/50 helped with smoother shifting after the clutch fix from Yamaha mentioned on this thread......now enjoy your bike. :thumbsup:

• whipit1k

Posted September 15, 2004 - 06:00 PM

I just got back from an awesome ride, I admit the bike is awesome. The clutch sucks, it pops a lot and also started to misfire a bit toward the end of my last moto but it is a great handeling bike and the motor makes clearing jumps very easy. It pulls hard and smooth. I was being a little [@#$%&*!] i guess....but the clutch does suck. Squealing POS... I took everyones advice and ordered the 426 parts. now if i can figure out the odd popping and bogging toward the end
it had a 165 main in it. I tried a 175 because it is all i had at the time...it ran awesome till the end there

• Ga426owner

Posted September 16, 2004 - 07:19 AM

fuel screw needs adjustment - and put the clip in the 3rd position - 175 may be a little fat - ask the jetting experts - forum

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.