Anyone put a HotCam in a 03 450? Results Please

13 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 14, 2004 - 10:08 AM

Just curious - I may try one of these toys. Stage 1 or Stage 2 preferences?

• Ga426owner

Posted September 15, 2004 - 07:18 AM

anyone???

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 15, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Are talking about putting in the set (Intake/Exhaust) kit, or the new Intake cam only?

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 15, 2004 - 11:01 AM

either/or what is recommended.

• tool

Posted September 15, 2004 - 01:15 PM

it disturbs me to see so little interest in changing cams.

:thumbsup:

• MXKyle

Posted September 15, 2004 - 01:20 PM

The YZ450 is already pushing the limits of most riders’ capability. They have detuned the beast to make it easier to ride over the past two years no less. I guess not too many are looking for more since they already have more than they can handle.

--KT--

• Ga426owner

Posted September 15, 2004 - 01:39 PM

it disturbs me to see so little interest in changing cams.

:thumbsup:

Me too - there is not enough of a reason to sell my 03 for a 05 anything - my bike works so well but I do desire some more power - Just curious if Hotcams is the ticket or even a full blown big bore kit. Maybe I am crazy for thinking that anyone has tried this Cam mod, but I don't think so - many are doing it on CRF's - I want some feedback from YZF 450 owners - Come on folks gimme some feedback :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HotCams

Posted September 15, 2004 - 05:40 PM

The Hot Cams are top end biased with good midrange. They were designed to soften the bottom a little to help hook the tire up before pulling the trigger. They are a 7% gain in peak hp with more in the over-rev.

That help?

Tony

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 16, 2004 - 06:57 AM

And if anybody knows, It's Tony.....

Man I sure love the Hot Cams I put in my 426....

Thanks, Tony !

• Ga426owner

Posted September 16, 2004 - 07:13 AM

The Hot Cams are top end biased with good midrange. They were designed to soften the bottom a little to help hook the tire up before pulling the trigger. They are a 7% gain in peak hp with more in the over-rev.

That help?

Tony

that helps - thanks, now more questions - I am a midrange/topend rider - would the stage 1 or stage 2 be the ticket for me? Tony does this determine which cam to go with, Stage 1 or Stage 2? And as Bonzai has mentioned is it preferable to install the "kit" or the intake side only? Should the stock flywheel be used on a 03 450 Yamaha or keep my 5oz flywheel weight?
Thanks for the assist - Tony :thumbsup:

• HotCams

Posted September 16, 2004 - 12:02 PM

would the stage 1 or stage 2 be the ticket for me?

At this time we only have one set of cams.

And as Bonzai has mentioned is it preferable to install the "kit" or the intake side only?

These should be used as a set. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 17, 2004 - 06:09 AM

Tony thanks for the information.

• tool

Posted September 17, 2004 - 05:26 PM

i just ordered a hotcam, the one with auto decompression. ill tell you how it runs after i get it in. :cry:

• tool

Posted September 23, 2004 - 04:22 PM

i just got my hot cam in and took it for a ride. the ease of starting aside, my bike just revs and revs. i think the cam softens the mid hit, not the bottom, because it is soo smooth all the way from idle to the rev limiter.
its definately more comfortable in the upper rpms, but its got torque and more rev. a very wide powerband. :cry:
as far as power gains, i didnt feel more power. it just changed the way it was delivered. it took away the hit in the mid and added top end. i cant wait to get it on the track.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.