2004 wr450f throttle mod info

8 replies to this topic
  • wr450f_rider

Posted September 14, 2004 - 09:37 AM

I just bought a 04 wr450f and was wondering what was the best way to address the throttle stop mod. I have heard cut it down (but how much?) or replace it with the YZ450f stop. Can anyone clear this up?

• chipwich

Posted September 14, 2004 - 10:05 AM

use a cut-off wheel and remove 11mm from the stock throttle stop screw and save around $15 (with shipping), or order the 04 yz450f part.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted September 14, 2004 - 04:42 PM

either method works, I just used a YZ throttle stop because it was easier... but if you've got the tools and time to cut the wr stop down that'll work just fine too.

• John_H

Posted September 14, 2004 - 10:31 PM

2 minutes to cut it off :thumbsup: I've never understood why this mod is so difficult. The dealer removed mine, so I just found a screw that fit and cut it off so it stopped the slide just before it hit the the top of the carb. I've got to remember that some people really don't enjoy working on their bikes. I'm kinda getting that way unfortunately.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JMathis

Posted September 15, 2004 - 03:37 AM

I am in the process of purchasing a WR, what is the purpose of this mod that you are referring to?

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted September 15, 2004 - 03:47 AM

I am in the process of purchasing a WR, what is the purpose of this mod that you are referring to?

The WR comes from the factory with a restricted throttle travel. The throttle will only twist about 3/4 of what it should... The YZ doesnt have this restriction, so WR owners replace or cut their throttle stop screws to match the ones found in the YZ's

This is one of the first and most effective mods you can do to a WR (250 or 450)

This mod and many others can be found at Thumperfaq.com

• wr450f_rider

Posted September 15, 2004 - 10:23 AM

thanks for all your info guys, i'll be sure to keep the progress updated.

• vantolr

Posted September 15, 2004 - 10:35 AM

either method works, I just used a YZ throttle stop because it was easier... but if you've got the tools and time to cut the wr stop down that'll work just fine too.

it's an easy job and works just as well as the YZ throttle stop......just take it out....cut 11mm off, re-install. Takes about 15-20 minutes. After cutting mine, I ran the brush grider over it just get off any small metal shavings and give it nice, shiny polish.....

• stink

Posted September 15, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Interestingly enough, the Canuck model 04 came with the shorter throttle stop screw!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.