crashed my XR650 and have some frame damage....

7 replies to this topic
  • Ronin

Posted November 16, 2001 - 05:24 PM

after bottoming out my 650 on some rocks I noticed that the left side frame rail right under the engine mount has been collapsed and on one of the corners of the tube it actually tore some aluminum from the tube and exposed the interior of the rail. Has anyone done this before? has anyone seen it repaired?? and if so, how?

thanks in advance,

• qadsan

Posted November 16, 2001 - 07:57 PM

Would a real skid plate have prevented this or did you have a real skid plate installed? Just curious...

I just dumped my plastic skid plate today and installed a White Brothers aluminum skid plate. It's a nice piece of work and fits very well. I understand Utah Cycle makes their skid plates. Sorry to hear about your left side frame rail damage.

• ToddW

Posted November 17, 2001 - 08:11 AM

I've warned people so many times about getting a real skid plate for the XR650R it's not even funny. I cracked my frame the second time I rode it from similar damage. Take it to someone that can TIG weld aluminum, preperation is the most important thing. Make sure everything is CLEAN, use only stainless steel brushes on aluminum to prep it. You may want to grind out the damaged area with a burr for a weld bevel. I'LL say it one more time "BUY A REAL SKID PLATE" these big pigs like to drag the frame in the dirt (and rocks), this along with a plastic "token" skid plate, and 300lbs just don't mix. Good luck with the repair. Also keep an eye on the right foot peg bolts they'll be the next thing to go. If you were running a skid plate, this would be the first one I've herd of breaking like that.

Good Luck,

• Ronin

Posted November 17, 2001 - 05:28 PM

the 650 had a baja designs aluminum skid plate installed. It was what I would consider a "real" skid plate made of 1/4" thick aluminum. thanks for the input though. by the way, the plate did not break, it just bent in on the frame rail and tore the aluminum of the rail. kind of strange, but all too true.... the rock must have impacted exactly in the spot of the frame rail.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ronin ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToddW

Posted November 19, 2001 - 11:29 AM

Wow, that's a real bummer. Like I said, mine has been welded, no prob. since! Good Luck

• Dutch

Posted November 19, 2001 - 02:22 PM

Check out the BRP skid plate - does this look more sturdy than the others?

• qadsan

Posted November 19, 2001 - 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Dutch:
Check out the BRP skid plate...

Utah Sports Cycle in Salt Lake City builds the skidplates for many of the aftermarket companies such as Moose, MSR, White Bros, Baja Designs, and possibly others who don't want you to know this. From the looks of their pictures, it appears as if they 'may' build BRP's skid plate too.

Here's a review of their products at the following link...

• Ronin

Posted November 21, 2001 - 03:46 AM

The plate that you see on brb's website is exactly the same as the Baja Designs one that I destroyed. thanks for all your help though.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Ronin ]

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.