Newbie doing a YZ400 rebuild, I have a question?

2 replies to this topic
  • yz400ed

Posted September 13, 2004 - 06:09 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I just bought a well used 98' YZ400, I'm the third owner of the bike. The previous owner(the second owner) told me it had a big bore kit that the origional owner installed in it. He had no receipts or paper work on the modification. Now that I took the top end apart I'm wondering where to get a replacement piston and rings since they're not stock.

I measured the piston skirt diameter, 93.88mm

The top of the piston says,

Is this a stock 2mm overbore piston? does anyone know who makes this piston and where can I get a replacement?

The cylinder bore looks pretty good but the top ring gap was at .015", way over spec.

Thanks for the help, Ed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_Rohrich

Posted September 13, 2004 - 07:08 PM

That's a Wiseco 2mm over piston. Any Parts Unlimited dealer that sells Wiseco can get replacement parts for it.

Wiseco standard ring end gap is .004" for every 25mm of bore size which would put you at .015" .

• yz400ed

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the info Rich

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.