Recommendation for jetting USA 2003 Yamaha WR450F for high altitude

1 reply to this topic
  • BajaFool

Posted September 13, 2004 - 01:24 PM

I'm going to Circleville, Utah and then on to Bryce, Utah in a week and would like to get some recommendations for jetting a USA 2003 Yamaha WR450F for riding at what I have been told will be at 6,000-11,000 ft (call it 9,000 ft avg). The bike has the air baffle removed, gray wire cut and stock exhaust system with a GYT-R exhaust insert. The carburetor settings are factory stock, except the Main Jet(MJ) is #158 vs #150; the Pilot Jet (PJ) is #50 vs #45 and the Pilot Screw (PS) is 2 1/2 turns vs 1 3/4 turns. Note that I DO NOT have the James Dean mod and the stock Jet Needle (JN) and clip position are OBDUT-4. My feeling is that these settings, which work fine at 5,500 ft, will probably be all right. However, I am open to suggestions from those who have, "Been there done that".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted September 13, 2004 - 02:44 PM

You will be fine with 160 main, clip #4 on stock needle, 48 pilot, 72 starter jet, At higher altitude the temps drop and I find the bike jetting does not change as much as some people would like to think. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.