Gear Selection problem

3 replies to this topic
  • MXH

Posted September 13, 2004 - 07:29 AM

My 2000 WR400 decided yesterday that it wasn't going to change gear any more. I stripped it down last night and found out why - there's a bit missing. See the peg on item 2 that goes into component 10 at http://parts.yamaha-...timage.aspx?c=5,1649,1668&i=19905,2 well that's not there anymore.

Anyone else heard of or had the same problem? The worrying thing is that I can't find the bit anywhere, although there was definately more swarf than usual in the oil filter, suggesting that it's just broken up.

I was thinking of just replacing the part, running the engine gently for 10 minutes or so on some fresh oil, draining that out, refilling then back to normal use. What do you think?

• 5valve

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:43 AM

your link is not fully functional, so here it is again
LINK

this broken part could be anywhere in the gearbox, have you stripped the whole engine apart?
if it got chewed up by gears, there might be some damage on them too ar at least larger pieces of metal scattered around the tranny

particles caught in the filter are IMO just a part of the broken piece

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXH

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:09 AM

Hmm, that link was all over the place - this one is hopefully correct - Link

It's only a small peg and there was a hell of a lot of swarf in the filter. That, and the fact that the bike was ridden for a good 5 minutes after the problem arose, makes me think that there's unlikely to be much left in there to clean out.

• 5valve

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:15 AM

than do as you planned and check/clean filter more often during first rides

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.