Replacing Crankcase

5 replies to this topic
  • BoffoRider

Posted September 13, 2004 - 07:05 AM

I have to replace the crankcase on my YZ450F. I mechanically minded enough, if I take my time, to do most things with my bike. However, this seems like a tremendous amount of work. On a scale of 1 to 10 what would be the difficulty level of this task? Should I just bite the bullet and get the local shop to replace the cases for me? Any opinions welcomed.

Thanking you in advance,

• Matt96xr6

Posted September 13, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Beyond rebuilding the shock and forks, there is not anything more tedious then splitting the cases. You should have the special tools to split and install the cases so you dont do damage to anything. If you dont have the tools, tear the motor down and out of the bike and just have the shop split, fix and seal the cases back together for you.

• Butta

Posted September 15, 2004 - 03:55 AM

I second that! I was going to replace my cases when I got a whole in the top from a connecting rod that decided to split until about 4 hours into the job....I started looking at all the little pieces and how much work was still left....found it easier to just buy another used motor and swap motors entirely. Now, she runs like a raped ape!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXKyle

Posted September 15, 2004 - 04:37 AM

I blew a chain through the cases when my 450 was fairly new. I had never had a 4-stroke apart before and was naturally worried. No problems. My only hitch was in not reading the manual about resetting the chain tensioner. My bike has worked flawlessly for the past two years since the rebuild.

I even cut the old bearings out of the old cases to save money. I couldn't remove them any other way.

Go for it. You can always take your engine to the shop in a basket. :thumbsup:

• BoffoRider

Posted September 16, 2004 - 09:26 AM

Anyone ever JB Weld something like this? Do you think that this may be an option?

• MXof21

Posted September 16, 2004 - 05:06 PM

I split the case on my 2002 YZ250F, it was a bunch of work but if you follow the manual closely it will go fairly smooth. The only special tools I needed were: impact wrench, flywheel puller, bearing puller and a torgue wrench. I actually enjoyed the project but it was the middle of the winter so I was in no hurry.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.