chain hitting square aluminum uprights on bike?

3 replies to this topic
  • Chevy_Cowboy

Posted September 13, 2004 - 05:00 AM

Hey guys, earlier I was putting silicone under my chain slider and doing some other odds and ends to the bike and I noticed some scaring on the inside of one of the square aluminum subframe... the only thing that could have caused it is the chain. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? I didn't see anything on thumperfaq about this. :thumbsup:

The bike has less than 100 miles on it and I've been pretty easy on it so far.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 13, 2004 - 08:22 AM

That is normal. I have a pc of 1/8" thick UHMWPE plastic mounted on the inside with mounting tape. It protects the sub frame arm. You need to cover it about 4" length. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pokey1

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:34 AM

Mine's doing that, too. With only about 300 miles on it. I'm surprized that Yamaha didn't put something there to protect the subframe.

• DirtyDude

Posted September 13, 2004 - 12:27 PM

Absolutely!! Mine has done this since new, and I was going to put a piece of plastic on the subframe too. The slack has always been in spec too. It seems to help if you keep the slack setting a little less than the max spec. Odd thing is I have a friend with an '03 WR450 and he has almost no wear on the subframe. We both set our slack the same too - we use an AA battery placed between the chain and the swingarm right where that allen connects the rear of the slider. Weird. A makeshift guard is definitely in order. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.