Koubalink or not to Koubalink

8 replies to this topic

Posted September 12, 2004 - 08:41 PM

If you use a Koubalink do you lower the front end as well. Can someone give me some feedback on this product. Just need to gain a few inches but hate to mess with the factory specs. Thanks

• udhawg

Posted September 28, 2004 - 03:08 PM

Just installed the Koubalink. I have a short inseam and the link really helped. I did lower the forks 1" from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork cap to balance the bike. It rides just as good as the full suspension only shorter. I ride the bike about 40% road and 60% trail and woods. It still soaks up the bumps and crosses logs with ease. Other than lowering the forks and installing the link there are no other suspension mods.
Jim

• cat0020

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:10 PM

I've been using the KoubaLink to lower the rear end of my motard XR650R. I pulled the forklegs approx. 1 1/2 inch up in the triple clamp to even out the bike. Excellent product IMO. :cry:

Posted Image

Posted September 28, 2004 - 04:16 PM

Great Thanks I've been waitin for a response on this one and it really helped...Thank again

• Tarkus

Posted September 30, 2004 - 09:45 AM

Caution! It might be possible for the tires to hit the underside of the fenders. If you drop the triple clamps too much it wouldn't be nice if the front tire scraped the fender hard during a high speed G-out (like locking the front brake at the worst possible moment) The only way to be sure it won't scrape is to pull the fork caps, (bars, etc. if they're in the way) and let the front end down to full fork stroke and check for enough clearance.
I had RG3 suspensions lower my BRPs'front and rear 1.5 inches with internal spacers and revalve for a plusher dual-sport ride and love the results.

• depecherider

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:48 PM

Caution! It might be possible for the tires to hit the underside of the fenders. If you drop the triple clamps too much it wouldn't be nice if the front tire scraped the fender hard during a high speed G-out (like locking the front brake at the worst possible moment) The only way to be sure it won't scrape is to pull the fork caps, (bars, etc. if they're in the way) and let the front end down to full fork stroke and check for enough clearance.
I had RG3 suspensions lower my BRPs'front and rear 1.5 inches with internal spacers and revalve for a plusher dual-sport ride and love the results.

Hi guys,
Do you welcome a drz rider in crf forum? :applause:
I'm looking for a solution for my (crf250x rider) friend.
We saw the koubalink but it is for the rear lowering and we have already dropped the triple clamp as much as possible. But it is not enough.

Are there any way to lower the front by using spacers for springs, revalving etc?
Thanks for your interest, sorry for poor English :applause:

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 28, 2007 - 10:45 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=398279 read this about lowering links, worth the thought. I think the Kouba link has a disclaimer about lowering the front of the 650r more than 1 1/2".

• depecherider

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:18 PM

Thanks you XR4DEZ,
I've read this article, now I'm confused. Because my friend rides in enduro and motocross races in amateur category. And in the article it is written that the lowering links are not suitable for motocross riding style.

Also my friend told me that he wants to change the wheels of his crf 250x with youth bike wheels (16 inch x 19 inch). It sounds weird for me but I dont know any negative effect would appear...

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I guess it just boils gown to how hard you ride and tax the suspension. I had the K link on my DR and had to go up a few spring sizes to keep from blowing through the stroke. Kouba did the suspension on that bike also and it tracked fine but required a stiffer spring.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.