Crank seal replacement????

1 reply to this topic
  • Brian_G

Posted November 04, 2001 - 05:54 AM

hi i have a 1991 honda cr125 and this bike is notorious for having a bad left crank seal. i have everything(flywheel puller, the seal, service manual) and i need some advice if any of you have had this bike(if you have switched from 2 to 4) and done this repair or anyone who has done a left crank seal. the manual helps but is vaigue on exactaly what i have to remove in order th get to the seal.and will the timing need to be reset? i dont want to make anyone mad by asking for info at a 4 stroke board while i ride a 2 smoke. just to let you know. thanks!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Victor_Venturo

Posted November 06, 2001 - 11:55 PM

Way back in 91 I did a cr500 and it was pretty straightforward like the manual states. I shot everything with liquid wrench a day or so before popping the flywheel/ mag rotor. The Cr is noted for gathering moisture down there and getting rusty behind the flywheel. The seal was just a pop and lube replacement if I remember correctly. Clean the crankshaft with fine emery. The timing is factory set. It can be modified with a timing light and you file the mounting hole to move the pickup but I doubt you would want to do that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.