Trim the fork stops for tighter turns on tight trails?

10 replies to this topic
  • DieselsRcool

Posted September 12, 2004 - 05:55 PM

In tight trails it seems my WR450 could use a little shorter fork stops. Has anyone trimmed them a bit to allow tighter turns? It looks like there is a little room on the left side for the forks to turn tighter but I'll have to move the little black box to get it to turn tighter to the right. It's not much but every bit would help. I'm assuming interference would be the only concern.

Any thoughts on this? :thumbsup:

• donutman126

Posted September 12, 2004 - 08:36 PM

you should try a ktm they dont turn far at all its a pain in the butt turning them around in a tight space. Could you grind some off the steering stops?

• tad69

Posted September 12, 2004 - 08:59 PM

Learn to steer more with wheel spin and brakes. :thumbsup:

• 5valve

Posted September 12, 2004 - 10:36 PM

I wouldnt recommend trimming the fork stops, as they could break if you fall, damaging the radiators
especially useful for turning in tight trails is leveling the bike on rear wheel and easily turning it in any direction, but for the bike lift you need hell of a strong arms and self balance

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 13, 2004 - 03:55 AM

Just raise your fork tubes 15mm in the triple clamps and you have a great turning bike! Steering dampner really comes in handy on high speed trails when you make it turn better. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted September 13, 2004 - 04:41 AM

not sure about the 450, but the 426 wouldnt have cdi clearance.
to make it turn tighter pull in the clutch, gas it up, tur the bars and dump the clutch :thumbsup:

• ckulzer

Posted September 13, 2004 - 05:34 AM

Try tipping the bike over further and rolling it around on the edge of the tire. As mentioned, controlled wheel spin can be used to bring the back end around. Depending on your inseam, sometimes jumping off the bike and clutching it around is easier.

Ride fast - take chances,

• simch

Posted September 13, 2004 - 08:45 AM

Just grind em right off for bar spins!

How bout a 20 inch front wheel to help on the tight stuff?

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:23 AM

Bad idea do not remove your limit tabs on the lower triple clamp! :thumbsup:

• chipwich

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:40 AM

With all due respect, my '04 450 is the best turning bike that I've had since my '83 CR480, but without the headshake. :thumbsup: It really is amazing how well these things turn for a big bike. In tight woods, just use compression braking or a bit of rear brake to set up for the turn if a tree prevents you from leaning the bike over. Otherwise push down on the inside grip, and I use a little push of the outside knee on the tank. Just a little though, as the new WRs turn like a dream.

• SteadyEddy

Posted September 13, 2004 - 02:06 PM

the 450 doesn't have clearance, I bent my steering stop in a crash and the fork was hitting the box, I had to re-weld the stop so it wouldn't crush the box

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.