2000 XR650R BROKEN FRAME

6 replies to this topic
  • METZ32

Posted November 03, 2001 - 02:18 PM

AFTER ONLY 2500 MI(1 season) OF NH TRAIL RIDING I FOUND THE WELDS HOLDING THE LOWER MOTOR CRADLE CONNECTION TO THE GUSSET(NEAR COUNTER SHAFT) WERE CRACKED CLEAN THROUGH.ON CLOSER INSPECTION I NOTICED THE CRACK WENT ALL THE WAY AOUND THE TUBE. THIS IS 100% WELD FAILURE.tHE WELDS CRACKED DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE. THE WELD WAS NOT ONLY PLACED INCORRECTLY BUT WAS ALSO VERY POROUS.THE LOCAL DEALER TOLD ME I MUST HAVE "ABUSED" THE BIKE AND THAT WAS NO EXPRESSED WARRANTY BEYOND 6 MOS.ON TOP OF THIS APPARENTLY THERE IS NO DIRECT CONTACT WITH A HONDA REP.WHEN I EXPLAINED THIS ALL TO THE 800HONDA CUSTOMER SERVICE THEY TOLD ME THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE HONDA STRESS TESTS EVERY FRAME. Don't get me wrong, I am still in love with this bike. We just finished a ride yesterday of 142 mi of very nasty powerlines through the mountains. It took 9.5 hours and my trusty XR took the same abuse as the KTM520,KTM300,DRZ400 without even as much as a whimper.(wish I could say the same. "A bit stiff today")

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: METZ32 ]

• Jeremy

Posted November 04, 2001 - 06:57 PM

Don't give up. Keep on fighting. Take it to other dealers. Did you buy it new? If so, that dealer would be your best bet. If not, try any dealers in your area. Keep pushing Honda. Check their website for contact phone numbers. Call the 800 number and demand to speak to someone with some power. I worked for a Chevrolet dealership for many years, and if someone raised a big enough stink (especially in your situation with so few miles) they usually got results. Good luck. What year is the bike, and how long have you had it?

• Dirtnut

Posted November 05, 2001 - 02:18 AM

He shouldn't have this problem. Even if he abused the bike fixing it would be the cheapest advertisment Honda could buy. This kind of thing is what pisses me off. We as consumers pay a lot of money for these toys and Mfg should fix these type of problems no ? asked. This makes me want to buy a KTM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lkr

Posted November 05, 2001 - 06:27 AM

You definatly need to stay on the dealers back and honda. I dont know how long you have owned you bike but honda has a factory warranty of one year from the purchase date. This warranty is on all of the xrs. My 400 came with one and even came with papers to prove it from the dealer. Most dealers are ignorant on some warranties and assume dirt bikes dont come with them. So stay with it and contact every honda represenative you can with your complaints. Maybe even research what remedies are available to you through the better business bureau.

• M.Stone

Posted November 05, 2001 - 10:22 PM

My experience has been that Honda is very resistant to cover such failures under warrantee. The subframe on my '96 XR400 cracked at the crossbrace. This was a fairly common failure, and Honda redesigned the subframe for '98. Even though I paid extra for the Honda extended warrantee, Honda refused to repair or replace the subframe under warrantee.

I just purchased a new XR650R, and I will be watching that lower left engine mount.

• Dutch

Posted November 05, 2001 - 03:39 PM

If Honda fixed it under warrantee they admit there is a problem - that is the problem.

• barnumpro

Posted November 10, 2001 - 08:56 PM

hey Metz dont be discuregd you need to call honda usa and get ahold of bruce oglvie with american honda the man you realy want to talk to his name is hal he is in charge of the XR650 model but if push comes to shove tou can weld the frem with no problems the aluminum used in the new XR is a 2000 series it self aneels itself rob.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.