Plastics Interchangeability

7 replies to this topic
  • ddold

Posted September 12, 2004 - 12:14 PM

Hi all,

I just picked up a '00 WR400, plated and supermotard conversion done ... fabulous bike and a blast to ride, but I am still slightly shameful of having gone blue and was looking to change the plastics. This is my first foray into dirtbikes since an 89 KX500, so I am not clear on what Yamaha models have interchangeable plastics with the WR. Does the same year YZ plastics fit, or later year WR426/450s fit? It seems easier to get the YZ plastics in other colors ... almost everyplace I find WR400 plastics they are the stock blue.

Thanks.

Dave

• Gadsen

Posted September 12, 2004 - 12:50 PM

Its going to be closest to the 426, none of the 450 stuff will fit. The tank and radiator scoops vary on your WR vs the same year YZ. The tank is steeper, so the seat wont fir unless you swap them as a set. About the only thing thats identical is the front fender and side panels.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted September 13, 2004 - 12:59 AM

About the only thing thats identical is the front fender and side panels.

The right hand side panel (in Australia at least) is different on WRF/YZF 400/426's. The WRF RH sideplate is wider to clear the larger WRF muffler. '98-'02 YZ rear guards will also fit, but you'll obviously need a different tail light if you go that route. :thumbsup:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 13, 2004 - 05:58 AM

This won't help you much with your 400, but maybe useful to others. I just changed all my blue & white plastic to black yz plastic on my '03 wr450. It was quite simple. It takes some minor Dremel work, but it all came together quite nicely. Most of the holes line up. I'll post a pic when my POS digital camera decides to work.

P.S. You may want to rethink the black scheme, holy crap my bike looks ultra dirty after a 1 hour MUD FREE ride. I think you said you made yours Super moto though? The black clean is really sharp.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 13, 2004 - 06:05 AM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Did you say "SHAMEFUL OF GOING BLUE?" :devil: The Kawi camp has always been green....with envy. :thumbsup: Sorry, I just couldn't contain myself. :awww:

• Eric_F

Posted September 13, 2004 - 06:11 AM

I must say, a bright green motorcycle looks cool. If they made that color for the WR, I might actually pick some up. It's unique, that's for sure :thumbsup: A Yamasaki?

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 13, 2004 - 10:39 AM

I must say, a bright green motorcycle looks cool. If they made that color for the WR, I might actually pick some up. It's unique, that's for sure :devil: A Yamasaki?

"Yamasaki?" I think I ate something in a Japanese restaraunt last week called yamasaki! :awww: The next day wasn't pleasant. :thumbsup:

• ddold

Posted September 13, 2004 - 06:08 PM

Cool ... thanks for all the help guys. I was thinking of black because the motard front fender is already black, but I'm mostly just after something something a little different. I've seen an avatar, either here or on the supermoto junkie forums, that has a WR/YZ in the classic Kenny Roberts yellow/black ... that was cool. Dirtbike plastics are so cheap compared to sportbike parts, I'll probably just play around until I find a color I like.

The shame of going blue decreases every time I ride it :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.