Engine Seize

Yeah Jim I checked the bearings and found them ok. No damage whatsoever. Got to get a valve spring compressor tool to check valve seals. The head had no discoloration at all and no sigh of damage but I will still pull the valves and check seals. Amazingly enough the engine still had about 1/2 a quart of oil in it when I got her home. That, I suppose, is what kept the bottom end happy.

Instead of going with a new big bore kit I ordered stock replacement piston/rings and cylinder/gaskets. I will use the old cylinder for big bore kit the next time I change oil talking to my wife!!

thanks for all the input gang. Will keep ya posted.

Aze

Yo Steady,

Yup, I am sure that sand and dirt got in through the hole so I am flushing everything. Luckily on the WR a screen is at the base of the frame and caught most of the crap. But I will flush everything.

Thanks for the thought!

Aze

I did a similar thing with my WR a few years back. Replated cylinder, new piston & rings but all else OK.

So when it's up and running again do what I did - lockwire both of the engine drain bolts. ?

• 4 years later...

Just thought I would update you. According to my mechanic only the cylinder and piston were somewhat scratched. Cylinder not so much it went through the nicasil, so not to worry. The piston were due for replacement anyway. Bearings was OK, and head including cams looked just fine. Seems I got away with only minor damage. Yamaha quality!