Engine Seize

33 replies to this topic
  • the426master

Posted September 13, 2004 - 03:45 AM

I'd get an athena piston from www.MIDWESTACTIONCYCLE.com an athena piston is made with beter aluminum than any other piston and is coated so it will not seize and MIDWESTACTIONCYCLE sell gaskit kits cheap to their number is 1 800 323 0078 their great to work with I've rebuilt a few motors with them :thumbsup:

• blireef

Posted September 13, 2004 - 04:11 PM

check the bearings VERY closely and the valve quides etc. I would suspect some other damage :thumbsup:

• Azemon

Posted September 14, 2004 - 05:27 AM

Yeah Jim I checked the bearings and found them ok. No damage whatsoever. Got to get a valve spring compressor tool to check valve seals. The head had no discoloration at all and no sigh of damage but I will still pull the valves and check seals. Amazingly enough the engine still had about 1/2 a quart of oil in it when I got her home. That, I suppose, is what kept the bottom end happy.

Instead of going with a new big bore kit I ordered stock replacement piston/rings and cylinder/gaskets. I will use the old cylinder for big bore kit the next time I change oil talking to my wife!!

thanks for all the input gang. Will keep ya posted.

• SteadyEddy

Posted September 14, 2004 - 02:10 PM

Just another quick thought, is there any chance that while you were riding that some dirt could of gone in to the frame were you lost the bolt from :thumbsup:......
maybe you should flush it out with oil when your ready to go just in case

• Azemon

Posted September 14, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Yo Steady,

Yup, I am sure that sand and dirt got in through the hole so I am flushing everything. Luckily on the WR a screen is at the base of the frame and caught most of the crap. But I will flush everything.

Thanks for the thought!

• MXH

Posted September 15, 2004 - 06:40 AM

I did a similar thing with my WR a few years back. Replated cylinder, new piston & rings but all else OK.

So when it's up and running again do what I did - lockwire both of the engine drain bolts. :thumbsup:

• simch

Posted September 16, 2004 - 05:25 AM

.......Yeah, but if you dont remeber to do them up, you wont remember to lockwire them either....!??!! LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrBosa

Posted March 15, 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hey, guess why I found this soon-to-be-5-year-old thread?

• bluebreadtruck

Posted March 15, 2009 - 08:44 PM

you probably scored the piston... expect to replace the sleeve and piston (big bore) Luckly, you will HOPEFULLY find that the crank which has ball bearings and the transmission will usually survive longer than the piston with no oil, so you may get lucky!

• DrBosa

Posted March 15, 2009 - 11:41 PM

Yep, lost the frame oil plug, engine seized but I was able to start it again without any noise...I guess I was lucky. I do not know about any damage yet, but I would guess piston and cylinder.

• bluebreadtruck

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:02 AM

good luck.... wow old thread!

• DrBosa

Posted March 23, 2009 - 02:55 AM

Just thought I would update you. According to my mechanic only the cylinder and piston were somewhat scratched. Cylinder not so much it went through the nicasil, so not to worry. The piston were due for replacement anyway. Bearings was OK, and head including cams looked just fine. Seems I got away with only minor damage. Yamaha quality!

• wr400joe

Posted March 25, 2009 - 02:29 PM

how do i time up a wr400?

• DrBosa

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:18 AM

Wow, this forum really needs a moderator.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.