Dipstick insertion for a dipstick

8 replies to this topic
  • jkwithers

Posted September 11, 2004 - 10:32 AM

I have an xr650 r everytime i check/change the oil i have a hell of a time re-inserting the dipstick. i do not want to strip it. any suggestions :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted September 11, 2004 - 10:42 AM

This is going to sound real stupid but, it is true for some reason.....Your standing on the wrong side of the bike. It has something to do with the way you put the stick in. My wife can get in right every time. I think you need to be on the kick stand side.

• jkwithers

Posted September 11, 2004 - 11:04 AM

thanks guy,
ill give it a try or ask my wife.
thanks

• Dutch

Posted September 11, 2004 - 11:11 AM

Is there a point on the dipstick where you will not let the oil level fall below?
Then take a large wire cutter and snip off the dipstick below that. That cures the dipstick problem.
I installed the Baja Designs site tube three seasons ago and it is one of the best modifications I've made.
You can put the oil temp gauge in then and keep an eye on the oil level outside the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoZerk

Posted September 11, 2004 - 01:05 PM

I asked this same question a few months ago.

The trick is to tilt the stick to the right as your putting it in.

No more problems! :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted September 11, 2004 - 02:59 PM

I guess that would be the reason for standing on the left side of the bike :thumbsup:

• malevolent73

Posted September 11, 2004 - 05:55 PM

Exactly... "to the right!" works every time! no need to cut off any of your dipstick!!! :thumbsup: :devil:

• big t

Posted September 12, 2004 - 06:57 AM

I asked this same question a few months ago.

The trick is to tilt the stick to the right as your putting it in.

No more problems! :thumbsup:

Yeah, to the right works great. When I first got mine I thought the stick was mis-threaded or something. I'd be cussing :mad:for awhile before I could get it in. Then I read about it here on TT.

• jkwithers

Posted September 14, 2004 - 08:10 PM

thanks all good info!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.