Sand Paddle

24 replies to this topic
  • tshea

Posted October 16, 2001 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone put a sand paddle tire on their XR650R for a weekend? All my friends have Raptors and Honda 400 Quads. We only do three or four trips a year to Glamis, but I would like to take my 650 for our next trip - but not if it is going to suck or be a waste of my time.

• LP

Posted October 17, 2001 - 07:20 PM

Super big torquey engine + a sand tyre, they are a match made in heaven!

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, just go buy a paddle tyre!!

• Victor_Venturo

Posted October 18, 2001 - 02:12 AM

LP is right. Except you will quickly tire of riding with small quads. Different approach and speeds and all.
You could always go looking for a Banshi or Quadzilla to race around with though.
I have paddled xr500, 600 and 400 and they all worked OK but the 2 stroke CR250 or 500 is way lighter and more fun in the soft stuff. If you have a quad take it along anyway and enjoy the rest of the group you will be with.

• Amador

Posted October 18, 2001 - 11:39 AM

I disagree. I would reccomend not wasting your time. With the tire or the bike. That bike is so heavy it will kill you in the sand. Ever ridden in the dunes before?? Not only that but four strokes in general are suicide in the sand. Compression Braking will send you into a headshake that you will never forget!! If you do go, make sure you pull in the clutch EVERYTIME you let off of the gas even a little! If you must, get a paddle tire for sure. I ride the dunes all of the time, but only rode my YZ426 there once and it will never see the dunes again. I'll save that for the 2 stroke. My 2 cents.

Chris

• LP

Posted October 18, 2001 - 06:48 PM

Hey Amador,

Did you know this is a Thumper site! Try chookchaser.com

Also riding is about control, skill and understanding your bike.
Here is a tip, either gas it and hang on or brake. Coasting along on any bike (with or without engine braking) is not the best way to ride in the sand!

On behalf of Red Rider University congratulation, you have just passed Sand-Thumpers 101. See ya next semester.

• Amador

Posted October 21, 2001 - 08:10 PM

Originally posted by LP:
Hey Amador,

Did you know this is a Thumper site! Try chookchaser.com

Also riding is about control, skill and understanding your bike.
Here is a tip, either gas it and hang on or brake. Coasting along on any bike (with or without engine braking) is not the best way to ride in the sand!

On behalf of Red Rider University congratulation, you have just passed Sand-Thumpers 101. See ya next semester.

• Amador

Posted October 21, 2001 - 08:27 PM

LP-

My friend you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I am guessing that the number of times you've ridden in the dunes would be less than five, if ever. Just the fact that you made a comment about using your breaks in the dunes further proves my point. Not to mention the fact that you are on an XR site. Not that XR's aren't great bikes but anyone who has actually ridden the dunes would know that an XR would be the last bike you'll find there. And no, I didn't know this was a thumper site. I wondered why it was called thumpertalk? If you'll go to you desk and re-read you Huked on Foniks book and read my post again, you'll see (maybe) that I made reference to my YZ426. That last time I checked, that was a thumper. But, maybe you did'nt know that, you do apear to be new to the sport, or is it just sand ridding? Perhaps you should try this site- WWW.ROOKIE.COM

See ya in the sand! (I doubt it)

Amador

• LP

Posted October 22, 2001 - 02:01 PM

Hi Amador,

Good to hear from you. Dust off that Jacaranda Atlas that (like everyone) you stole from school and take a look at the map of Australia. This continent is made up of deserts, beaches and a few mountians. We have more sand down here than Afganistan has pot-holes!

Next time you go riding in the sand disconnect your front and back brakes and see how you go. You will be suprised what a firm jab of the anchors can do when your approaching a turn at 120klms.

Yes it is true that turning-in under braking is a big no-no but compression slowing and braking is a big part of reducing speed in a straight line.

With no brakes and no compression braking of a two stroke do you just wait for the sand to slow you down???? Seems a slow way to get around!

I did notice you have a thumper. On behalf of all the guys that buy second hand bikes we thank you. You get hit with the full sticker price, pay the tax and watch it depreciate in the shed. Let me know when it's for sale.

P.S. Scott Sommers can't be wrong, go XRs!

• Amador

Posted October 22, 2001 - 03:34 PM

LP- Give it up already. I'm not questioning the amount of sand in your country, however I am questioning how often you ride in it. Just because it's there doesn't mean that use use it. As it apears by your post and comments, sand is not the only thing that you are not using that you have access to. Perhaps, the issue should not be about sand but about ridding at Glamis, which is where the guy was ridding in the original post. I know personally how the conditions get ther because I ride it. When the sand is as soft as it is there and you are burried to your hubs by the time you stop, you don't use brakes, only for mid-air corrections, but I'm sure you knew that from all of your experience ridding there right?

Try all you want to pretend like you know what you are talking about, but I doubt your fooling many. The more you type, the more you prove your incompetence.

I'm not a genius when it comes to the mechanics of a dirtbike, so I don't offer advice much when it comes to subjects I'm unfamilliar with. I reccomend you do the same.

P.S.- I would love to see a picture of Scott Sommers ridding an XR650 at Glamis, Where did you see that?

• tshea

Posted October 22, 2001 - 06:21 PM

Still regarding Glamis, would a steering stabalizer help any? I will be there in two weeks and I am going to try it out because that's all I have. We only go to Glamis three times a year. The rest of the time is spent desert blasting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted October 22, 2001 - 08:14 PM

Maybe a little. The problem is, as you know,that when you let off the throttle on a thumper, the front end tends to dive forward. The front wheel kind of acts like a plow and because sand is never just flat, it takes you in it's natural flow pattern. Just remember, pull in the clutch when you are not on the gas, and the faster you ride, the more control you will have. Let us know how it turnes out for you.

• riderrex

Posted October 23, 2001 - 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Amador:
I disagree. I would reccomend not wasting your time. With the tire or the bike. That bike is so heavy it will kill you in the sand. Ever ridden in the dunes before?? Not only that but four strokes in general are suicide in the sand. Compression Braking will send you into a headshake that you will never forget!! If you do go, make sure you pull in the clutch EVERYTIME you let off of the gas even a little! If you must, get a paddle tire for sure. I ride the dunes all of the time, but only rode my YZ426 there once and it will never see the dunes again. I'll save that for the 2 stroke. My 2 cents.

Chris

• riderrex

Posted October 23, 2001 - 04:58 AM

This guy is up in the night. I rode my xr650 in the sand yesterday at knolls, utah and had a great time with the stock rear tire. a paddle would be awsome. It would be nice if we could all aford a different bike for every condition, but I ride with what I have and thats an xr. Granted its a heavy bike but I enjoy the chalenge. Sand leason xr650 101:
Head shake-rare but when it happens hang on tighter
Brakes-use em when you need um
Nose dive- keep moving
Slow turns-power on
When in doubt throttle out.
At knolls you have a choice dunes, mountains, or flat out roads I spent most of the day in the dunes because it was so much fun.

• Amador

Posted October 23, 2001 - 05:05 AM

I'm reffering to GLAMIS SPECIFICALLY! Not all sand is equal. Have you been there?

• Amador

Posted October 23, 2001 - 05:06 AM

You would'nt even get out of the parking lot at Glamis with a stock tire!

• LP

Posted October 24, 2001 - 01:48 PM

Me again Amador,

Your right, how can I talk about this magical 'Glamis sand' without riding in it.

Could you send me an envelope full. Mark the letter "does not contain anthrax" and I will try it out!

• LP

Posted October 24, 2001 - 02:08 PM

G'day riderrex,

My mate amador gets a bit upset when you talk about sand versus his precious little 'glamis sand'.

I will send you half the envelope thats comming to me to test.

• BULLDOG

Posted October 24, 2001 - 06:11 PM

I have a '00 WR 400 that I rode with stock rear tire at Glamis, I got out of the parking lot just fine. My buddy rode with me on a '00 xr650r with a stock rear tire that got out of the parking lot just fine. As a matter of fact, we got all over Glamis just fine. Perhaps Amador is a little obsessive about "Glamis sand". We had a blast for three days on stock tires in the "Glamis sand". We have since put paddles on both bikes and have ridden Glamis, Dumont, Ocotillo, Oloncha etc. My point is, RIDE THE BIKE YOU HAVE AND HAVE FUN. Don't base YOUR experience on the opinion of another. Had I listened to a person like Amador, I would be 34 years old, saying "I wonder what my bike would be like in the sand?".

------------------
It's your world, I just play in it!

2000 WR400, WB E-Series w/7 discs, stock header, Thumper bar risers, GUTS Racing seat, Cut Grey Wire, WR timing, Standard mods.

• qadsan

Posted October 25, 2001 - 04:40 AM

It's been many years since I've been to Glamis, but I used to ride my mid 70's Yamaha YZ400 two stroke there and one of the guys that went our group always had his Yamaha TT500 there with a paddle on it. Somehow we managed to get around and have plenty of fun.

• AlexK

Posted October 27, 2001 - 10:42 PM

From my limited experience in sand, a paddle tire makes a huge difference. My buddy had a 250 2-stroke quad with a set of knobbies and a set of paddles that we took out to Sand Mountain (a Nevada sand riding area). We tried it first with the knobbies just as a test. It could climb most of the hills with a run but not the steepest stuff. This mountain is a couple hundred feet high, not a little dune. We put the paddles on it and what a difference... like adding another cylinder! It could climb anything out there in the first three gears.
He also has a CR500 with a paddle tire on it. I weigh 150 lbs so with me it is a rocket ship. I couldn't even really open up the throttle in the first three gears without wheeleing. That thing would go so freaking fast up a 40 degree slope I couldn't believe it. I was giving away free sandblastings to the banshees. If you ever get a chance to ride a CR500 with a paddle in the sand, DO IT!
I have never ridden a 4 stroke with a paddle but I can't wait to try one on my DRZ.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.