BEST AGGRESSIVE DUAL SPORT TIRE?

18 replies to this topic
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 10, 2004 - 12:56 PM

I'm sure this topic has been whooped into submission by now, but I'm too lazy to find it in the search. (and I'm at work) I'm looking for an aggressive knobby DOT approved tire for my WR450. I've tried Metzeler Enduro Sahara 3s and Pirelli Mt 21 so far. The Pirelli being the better of the two. Both wore out very quickly.(under 1000 miles)I don't ride road too much either, under a 1/4 of the time. Any suggestions?

• gearbox

Posted September 10, 2004 - 07:08 PM

I would recommend:

"Michelin Enduro Comp III" for the front
... it was a major improvement over the stock D739
and is very similar to the Michelin M12 (aggressive tread) but also DOT approved.

and "Kenda Trackmaster II K760" for the rear
(Note: use a 120 and not a 110 as Kenda makes really narrow tires. The 120 is perfect.)
This is also a very aggressive tread pattern and is DOT approved. This is a very low cost tire and wears quite well.

These tires are very impressive in the dirt. The Michelin front was a major improvement. The Dunlop 739 front that comes on this bike makes it wash out really easy.
I highly recommend this tire combination for anyone that may need to run DOT's.
Whenever I am stopped my tires are the second thing that the nice officer looks at (paperwork being first).

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 10, 2004 - 08:42 PM

Michelin Baja is also a good choice. :thumbsup:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 11, 2004 - 05:31 AM

Indy,
I checked out the Baja from Michelin. The only size tire I could find from them for the rear is a 140/80-18. Can that big of a biscuit even fit a WR450 with Excel rims? If yes, what are the pros and cons of having such a big tire? I think it could only help you? :thumbsup:

• Gadsen

Posted September 11, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Outfit called "KIngs Tire", and they have the most aggressiver I've ever seen! Maybe kingstire.com ?

• N7SLC

Posted September 11, 2004 - 05:38 PM

Outfit called "KIngs Tire", and they have the most aggressiver I've ever seen! Maybe kingstire.com ?

Yes, they are aggressive, but have you ever run one? I have and let me
tell you that its one of the most slippery tires I have ever used.
Great on the road, but won't hook up for crap on the trail. Oh, and
after a few rides, the tire chunked so badly that I had to replace
it early.
I am now running a D606 and I am impressed! Much better tire than the
Kings or the Kenda. :thumbsup:

• Gadsen

Posted September 11, 2004 - 05:43 PM

No, I have a buddy who put them on his 2003 DRZ400S, he rides traisl with us, it does well, of course, hard conering on asphalt he doesnt recommend. Not chunking up or anything. I have a Millville on my WR426 (just sold) and it chunked up, but it was from plain old brute power! His King tire is holding up real well. About 40% worn in the first season. He will put another on the begenning of the next riding season.

• INJURY_69

Posted September 11, 2004 - 06:30 PM

I member reading a mag w/ a RMZ/KXF250F dual sported out.
I think that it read the pirelli scorpion(s) where recommended.

• Math

Posted September 11, 2004 - 07:04 PM

All front pirellis are DOT :thumbsup:. I will test the K760 from kenda this fall.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ckulzer

Posted September 12, 2004 - 06:48 AM

Kenda Trackmasters are cheap and work well in the dirt. Some tread squirm on the street, but they are cheap. Did I mention that they were cheap?

Chad

• N7SLC

Posted September 12, 2004 - 06:56 AM

No, I have a buddy who put them on his 2003 DRZ400S, he rides traisl with us, it does well, of course, hard conering on asphalt he doesnt recommend. Not chunking up or anything. I have a Millville on my WR426 (just sold) and it chunked up, but it was from plain old brute power! His King tire is holding up real well. About 40% worn in the first season. He will put another on the begenning of the next riding season.

Hey there KC7AXU...

Not trying to start a pissing match, but if you strap a Kings on the
rear of a WR450 or my DRZ440, they will chunk badly. We're 3 for 3
with the Kings and they all had the same result.

On another note, they were good in the rocks(I suspect the cause of
the chunking) but were slippery everywhere else. Regular dirt, sand,
loamy trails, gravel....the back end would not hook up.

Now, you said it was on a buddy's DRZ-S...powerwise, that bike is not
comparable to my DRZ440 or a WR450.

The Kings are cheap and if they work for you that's great, but they
don't work for me. I will not waste my money on cheap China tires
again.

N7SLC

• 5valve

Posted September 12, 2004 - 09:13 AM

mitas C-16, a cheap variety of metzeler MC4, DOT approved
good for stony & road, also paddles in mud
LINK

• Gadsen

Posted September 12, 2004 - 12:59 PM

Not trying to start a pissing match, but if you strap a Kings on the
rear of a WR450 or my DRZ440, they will chunk badly. We're 3 for 3
with the Kings and they all had the same result.

N7SLC

:devil: Heck, I chunked the heck out of a brand new Millville 771 on my WR426F, everybody said those are good tires and wear well. Well, wear, maybe, but mine never get a chance to wear, I chunk em all! :awww:

73 :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 12, 2004 - 04:55 PM

The 140/80 should fit between the swing arm but the brake caliper assembly will need to come off and be put on after.
Michelin sizing is also smaller than competitors they will be more like 130's. :thumbsup:

• chipwich

Posted September 12, 2004 - 05:26 PM

I've had really good experiences with the Dunlop D606, especially on medium to hard terrain.

• ddialogue

Posted September 12, 2004 - 06:15 PM

I've had really good experiences with the Dunlop D606, especially on medium to hard terrain.

I've been rotating through DOT tires trying to find one I really like. Loved the Kenda, HATED the Kings and LOVE the D606. In fact, I'm on my second D606 and will probably buy another one. :thumbsup:

• Stefe9999

Posted September 12, 2004 - 06:52 PM

I'd second the recommendation for the enduro comp III on the front. Its the best traction I've got off-road yet, and held up well in the rocky stuff we ride in here.

The comp III on the back however, chunked more that I liked.

Don't know how either holds up on the street, never tried it.

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 15, 2004 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for everyone's $0.02. I ordered a Mich Enduro Comp 3 front and a Baja rear. I wanted the biggest rear tire available so I can look like a Trail Way 200 on steroids. :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 15, 2004 - 06:08 AM

Great combination choice!
You are really got love it!
I think Michelins are hard to beat! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.